- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 91
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
This course can be found in: VCLA Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 3 VCLA study guides, and 100+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this convenient test prep guide to quickly and effectively prepare for the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment exam. Engaging video lessons, short quizzes and practice exams in this course can help you gain full comprehension of key concepts and improve your ability to pass the exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
11 chapters in Virginia Communication & Literacy Assessment (VCLA): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This entertaining course will help you get reacquainted with essential information covered on the Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) exam. Explore short and straightforward lessons to study a variety of English composition and analysis topics, including writing knowledge and proficiency and how to summarize and analyze textual information. You'll have the opportunity to practice answering the types of questions you'll find on the test with our lesson quizzes and chapter exams. These study tools are available 24 hours a day via any computer or mobile device, making it easy to study whenever and wherever you desire.
Check out our VCLA test prep materials! We've got comprehensive VCLA study guides to help you study, VCLA practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational VCLA resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Study and improve your understanding of all topics you will encounter on the VCLA exam using this course. Reviewing the lessons will ensure you have a quality understanding of effective essay writing and the elements of punctuation and grammar. You'll also be ready to:
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases
- Identify the main idea and supporting details in a written work
- Evaluate and analyze text
- Organize written works
- Use proper grammar
- Edit and revise your writing
In this course are 84 lessons divided into 10 chapters. The lessons are available as fun videos and full transcripts and feature multiple-choice quizzes designed to test your knowledge of important exam topics. Any questions that arise while reviewing this course can be submitted to our subject-matter experts via the Dashboard.
Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment Exam Information
The Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment exam is a test that measures the literacy and communication skills you'll need in order to teach English in Virginia public schools.
- Number of Questions: 40 questions (reading subtest) and 45 questions (writing subtest)
- Question Type: Multiple choice, short answer, written summary and written composition
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $40 (single subtest); $80 (reading and writing subtests)
Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment Exam Preparation and Registration
This study guide is a comprehensive resource that'll help refresh your knowledge of writing, reading and grammar concepts. Our expert English instructors present clear and simple definitions, rules and examples, which help you quickly and efficiently study the information. You can easily find the information you need on the course dashboard and use the included lesson transcripts to supplement the studying process. You can also practice answering the types of questions you'll find on the VCLA exam by taking the included self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams.
You can register for the test online through the VCLA's website at any time. Exams are offered multiple times per year and there are no deadlines for registration; however, test takers are encouraged to sign up well in advance for their desired test date.
Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA) Program is a registered trademark of the Virginia Department of Education and Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Get My GED: How to Pass the GED Exam
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Compass Exams
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams and Test Prep Information
- EMT Test and Exam Information with Tips
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Measured Progress Exams
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses