- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 105
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Geography? - Definition, Facts & Types
Course SummaryThis online test preparation course helps you review all of the topics you can expect to find on the Virginia Standard of Learning (SOL) World Geography exam. Access the course at any time to review fun video lessons and take interactive quizzes that emulate the types of questions you'll be asked on the exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
You will find that the chapters in this course focus on various areas of geography, from weather and climate to politics and economics. All of these lessons are designed to cover topics that you are expected to know as a 9th grade student in the state of Virginia to meet the history/social science standards at this grade level. This guide can serve as a review or a source of new information addressing the following:
- Geography tools and study focuses
- Weather, climate and atmospheric issues
- Types of regions and characteristics of specific regions
- World languages and religions
- Cultural elements and influences
- Human population and demographics
- World politics
- Urban structures and societies
- Global and domestic economic issues and development
About the Exam
Virginia utilizes SOL exams to determine a student's level of achievement and progress in specific content areas. They are given at the elementary, middle and high school levels. The World Geography test is one of those administered in history/social science. Students must correctly answer 33 out of 60 multiple-choice questions to be considered proficient in this subject; answering 50 out of 60 questions is considered advanced. The exam is entirely computer-based.
Virginia SOL World Geography Grade 9 Exam Preparation & Registration
By accessing the video lessons making up this course, you will have the opportunity to review material you will be tested on when taking the Virginia SOL World Geography exam. The lessons will go over the definition of geography, the use of maps and global positioning systems, the effects of weather on human civilizations, facts about continents and countries, the geography of religion, regional languages and characteristics, global political and economic systems, the impact of urbanization and factors affecting economic development. You can practice taking the Virginia SOL World Geography exam by answering the multiple-choice questions found in the self-assessment quizzes accompanying each lesson.
Virginia SOL exams are administered in the public school system to measure students' knowledge and to ensure they are learning at the expected pace of their respective grade level. No formal registration process is completed by the student. You will be registered to take the exam by test coordinators through the submission of a Student Data Upload File within PearsonAccess.
Virginia Standards of Learning (SOL) are standardized testing exams administered by the Virginia Department of Education and are a product of Pearson Education, Inc., neither of which is affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Interactive Advertising Course and Class Review
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Virginia Tech Video Review
- University of Virginia Video Review
- Online Japanese Courses and Classes Review
- Online German Courses and Classes Review
- Online Merchandising Course and Class Reviews
- Online Artificial Intelligence Course Reviews
- Online Banking Classes and Courses Review
- Online Database Administrator Course Reviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses