- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 40
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Find the Theme or Central Idea
This course can be found in: WEST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ WEST study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryPrepare for the WEST-B Reading Subtest with this comprehensive test preparation course. The course includes bite-sized lessons and quizzes that cover all of the reading concepts that you'll need to know by the day of your exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related WEST Courses
About This Course
If you need to get ready for the WEST-B: Reading Subtest, this course is for you! Broken into short, fun and easy-to-understand lessons, this course helps you study the reading topics that you can expect to find on the exam. As you work through the course's chapters, you'll review strategies for finding main ideas, interpreting reading selections, analyzing written arguments, evaluating figurative language and much more. To help you get comfortable answering the types of questions you'll encounter on the WEST-B: Reading Subtest, we've included plenty of practice quizzes and exams.
Check out our WEST test prep materials! We've got WEST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive WEST study guides to help you study, WEST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational WEST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
We've aligned this course with the topics that you'll likely encounter on the WEST-B: Reading Subtest. The course will strengthen your reading comprehension skills, as well as your understanding of basic literary devices. By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Find the main ideas of reading passages
- Understand reading selections
- Evaluate written arguments
- Analyze a text's point of view, meaning and tone
- Interpret figurative language and expressions
This course contains 40 lessons that are grouped into 5 topical chapters. The lessons can be watched online, and you'll have the option of printing out word-for-word lesson transcripts. Be sure to take the quizzes that follow each lesson to check your understanding of the material. Also, if you have any questions, you can submit them to our subject-matter experts.
WEST-B: Reading (095) Subtest Information
The WEST-B: Reading Subtest is intended for prospective teachers who are applying to teacher preparation programs in Washington as well as out-of-state teachers who are pursuing a teaching certificate in the state. The full WEST-B exam also includes a writing section and a mathematics section.
- Number of Questions: 60
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $75
WEST-B: Reading Subtest Preparation & Registration
This course is designed to make your test preparation experience simple, flexible and effective. The course dashboard will keep track of your progress so you'll always know how much you've studied and which chapters you still need to review. You'll be able to revisit the lessons as many times as needed. When you're finished with the lessons, try the final exam to evaluate your readiness for the WEST-B: Reading Subtest.
You can register for this subtest online at any time through the official Washington Educator Skills Test (WEST) website. When you register for the exam, you'll be asked to create an account that includes some basic information about yourself. This subtest is available throughout the year by appointment, and the registration process will ask you to select a nearby testing center. When you register, you'll submit an exam fee and agree to all WEST testing rules/policies.
Washington Educator Skills Tests (WEST) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Reading Specialist Degree Programs and Courses
- How to Get All Your College Course Reading Done Efficiently
- CNA Courses with Comprehensive Course Descriptions
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- WEST Test Preparation & Resources
- Online Reading Specialist Courses and Classes Overview
- Blueprint Reading Course and Training Program Information
- Reading & Writing Tests
- MCSE Course Preparation and Training Information
- Online CFP Preparation Course Information
- Become a Layout Artist Education and Career Roadmap
- Should I Be a Kindergarten Teacher - Quiz Self-assessment Test
- Game Design Certificate Programs in Knoxville, TN
- California Elementary School Combines Reading Encouragement with Business Writin
- How to Become an Instrumentation and Controls Technician
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses