- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 193
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Find the Theme or Central Idea
This course can be found in: WEST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ WEST study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryFeel confident in your ability to take and pass the WEST-B: Reading, Writing, Mathematics test using the helpful study resources in this online course. Bite-sized lessons, short quizzes and practice exams make it easy to boost your knowledge of important math, writing and reading topics.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
22 chapters in WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related WEST Courses
About This Course
This comprehensive course offers an in-depth examination of concepts you could see on the WEST-B: Reading, Writing, Mathematics test, which is an exam that's used for teacher certification purposes in Washington State. Engaging lessons explore ways to evaluate written arguments, organize essays, work with fractions and mixed numbers and much more. This course features multiple-choice quizzes and practice exams that can check your knowledge of this information. You can work through the course at your own pace, and the Ask the Expert feature allows you to submit any questions you may have about the exam content.
Check out our WEST test prep materials! We've got WEST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive WEST study guides to help you study, WEST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational WEST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The course is aligned with the concepts that appear on the WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics exam. Completing this course will help you grasp topics that you'll need to know in order to teach professionally. By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Find the main idea of a reading passage and understand reading selections
- Describe point of view, tone, meaning, figurative language and expressions
- Assess the important of audience and argument in written communication
- Use essay revision strategies
- Recognize parts of speech, writing conventions, grammar and proper sentence structure
- Work with decimals and percents
- Explain the fundamentals of geometry, as well as the properties and applications of triangles in geometry
- Measure closed figures and 3D shapes
- Solve math problems related to probability, statistics, sequences and algebraic expressions
The course is divided into 21 chapters, and it contains a total of 180 lessons. After watching our short video lessons, you can reinforce your knowledge by taking the accompanying self-assessment quizzes.
WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics Exam Information
The WEST-B: Reading, Writing, Mathematics test is designed for candidates seeking admission to state-approved educator prep programs or certified out-of-state candidates applying for a Washington state teaching certificate.
- Number of Questions: 172
- Question Type: Multiple-choice and constructed response
- Time Limit: 5 hours
- Exam Cost: $155
WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics Exam Breakdown
|WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics Exam Concept||Percent of the WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Lessons|
WEST-B: Reading, Writing, Mathematics Test Preparation & Registration
Choose any lessons in this course that can help you better understand or refresh your knowledge of the reading, writing and math concepts you could see on the test. The brief lessons can ensure you understand topics like implied main idea, the critical thinking process, audience in writing, the metric system, categorical data and the distributive property. When you're ready, test your understanding of these and other topics by taking multiple-choice quizzes, chapter exams and a final course exam. Questions that arise while studying this course can be submitted to our experts using the Dashboard.
To register for this test, you must create an account online, which requires you to share your email address and provide personal information. During this process, you will be able to choose your test date and location. On the day of your test, be sure to bring one piece of current, government issued ID and arrive on time. Arriving more than 15 minutes late could result in not being admitted and losing your refund. If you need to change the date of your test, you can reschedule through your online account at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled testing time.
Washington Educator Skills Tests (WEST) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Reading & Writing Tests
- Jobs that Involve Reading & Writing
- English for Internet: Listening, Pronunciation, Reading, and Writing
- 20 Free Resume Writing Resources Online
- Do Graduate Schools Accept Mathematics Courses Taken Online?
- Online Reading Specialist Courses and Classes Overview
- Online Writing Course Descriptions with Degree Options
- Online Technical Writing Courses and Certifications Programs
- Online Writing Courses for Children's Book Authors
- Online Creative Writing Class and Course Overviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses