- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 355
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Impact of Technology & Culture on the English Language
This course can be found in: WEST Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 30+ WEST study guides, and 5,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis study guide offers video lessons and short quizzes to enhance your understanding of reading comprehension, grammar, punctuation and writing concepts. Use this course to prepare for the NES English Language Arts exam, which has replaced the WEST teaching endorsement exam for this subject.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related WEST Courses
About This WEST English Language Arts Exam Course
The WEST English Language Arts (NT301) exam has been discontinued and replaced with the NES English Language Arts exam. This study guide is up-to-date and designed to prepare you for the current version of the NES English Language Arts exam.
This comprehensive online course helps you quickly prepare for the exam and review the types of vocabulary, reading comprehension and English composition concepts that you'll encounter. The course offers short video lessons that are taught by expert instructors, as well as practice assessments that help you get comfortable with the exam's format, style and difficulty level.
Check out our WEST test prep materials! We've got WEST courses to teach you the material, comprehensive WEST study guides to help you study, WEST practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational WEST resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2019.
WEST English Language Arts Course Information
This course is designed to prepare you for the WEST English Language Arts exam, covering all of the topics outlined in the official test materials provided by Pearson Education, Inc. Our professional instructors created this comprehensive course to help you master these objectives. Some of the topics covered in this course are listed below:
Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension, and Reading Various Text Forms
- Utilizing strategies for developing vocabulary
- Understanding effective reading comprehension strategies
- Applying strategies for reading of informational, persuasive and functional texts
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
- Examining ways to analyze and interpret literature
- Analyzing various forms of poetry
- Investigating the major characteristics of literature from around the world and their social and historical contexts
English Language Conventions, Composition, Writing Process, and Research
- Mastering the conventions of Standard American English
- Understanding the writing and compositional process
- Exploring the elements of effective research
Modes of Writing
- Applying strategies for narrative, analytical, expository and persuasive writing
Oral and Visual Communication
- Utilizing effective listening and speaking skills
- Examining skills for effective presentation and analyzation of various media forms
WEST English Language Arts Course Format
The course contains 38 chapters and 311 quick video and text lessons. Each lesson comes with a quiz to help you reinforce concepts and check your progress. Additional study tools, such as flashcards and fill-in-the-blank transcripts, are also available to help you prepare.
WEST English Language Arts Exam Information
- Number of Questions: 150
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 3 hours
- Exam Cost: $95
WEST English Language Arts Exam Breakdown
|WEST English Language Arts Exam Concept||Percent of WEST English Language Arts Exam||Approximate Number of Questions|
|Vocabulary, reading comprehension and reading various text forms||23%||35|
|Analyzing and interpreting literature||23%||34|
|English language conventions, composition, writing process and research||19%||29|
|Modes of writing||23%||34|
|Oral and visual communication||12%||18|
WEST English Language Arts Exam Registration & Preparation
The exam is offered year-round at testing centers in Washington State and throughout the country. To register, you must create an online account and select a testing date and site. You'll pay for the test at this time and can choose institutions that will receive notifications of your score. On test day, you'll need to bring a government-issued photo ID.
This study guide helps you review topics covered on the WEST English Language Arts exam. Our expert instructors can help you make sure that you are prepared for the exam. The quizzes and practice tests let you assess your knowledge and practice questions in a format like the one you'll encounter on exam day.
For more information on registering and preparing for the WEST English Language Arts exam, check out our WEST English Language Arts exam Informational Resources.
National Evaluation Series (NES) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., or its affiliates, which are not associated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Reading Comprehension | A Guide for Teaching Reading
- Courses for Teaching English As a Second Language
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Online Undergraduate Courses in English Language Arts
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Online Master of English Language Arts Degrees with School Options
- Online Diplomas in English Language Arts with Program Overviews
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- Distance Learning Master of English Language Arts Degrees
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses