- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 291
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Last Ice Age: Thawing Ice and New Human Opportunities
Course SummaryThis Western Civilization Study Guide course is the simplest way to master Western civilization. This course teaches all the essential history topics in a simple and fun video format that makes it an ideal study aid. The video lessons and practice quizzes allow you to quickly cover the history of Western civilization in preparation for a test or exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help understanding material about Western civilization will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding the Roman Empire, the Dark Ages, colonialism, the Scientific Revolution, industrialization, the World Wars or any other Western civilization topic.
- Need an efficient way to learn about Western civilization.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra history learning resources at school.
How It Works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Confirm your understanding through lesson quizzes and chapter exams.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Western Civilization final exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
In this course, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- How did the Neolithic Agricultural Revolution affect humankind?
- Where did writing first develop?
- What were some major accomplishments of Ancient Greece?
- How did the Roman Empire rise and fall?
- What events shaped the Dark Ages?
- What caused religious conflict during the Middle Ages?
- Why did the Renaissance begin in Italy?
- How did exploration and colonialism affect the New World?
- What sparked the Protestant Reformation?
- What political and cultural events defined the Elizabethan Era?
- In what ways did the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment transform civilization?
- Which economic and social factors contributed to the French Revolution?
- How did industrialization affect the development of economic theories?
- How did imperialism set the stage for geopolitical conflict in the 19th and 20th centuries?
- What were the causes and effects of the World Wars?
- What political, social and cultural changes have shaped the post-1945 world?
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- What Are Some Good Schools that Offer Online Courses in U.S. and Western History?
- Western Kentucky University Video Review
- Western Washington University Video Review
- What Are Some Online College Courses that Teach with Videos?
- Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, OH Video Review
- CLEP Social Sciences and History: The Age of Nationalism in the Western World
- European Studies - Western
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Study Australian History: Degree Program and Course Information
- Study Civil Rights History: Course and Program Overviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses