- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 134
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1World War II: The Start of the Second World War
Course SummaryIn just a few weeks, you can earn a Western Europe Since 1945 Certificate that will illustrate your skills and knowledge to prospective employers. Watch these animated video lessons to learn more about WWI events, the Cold War and the postwar period.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The short video lessons with engaging animations in this course can be used to earn a Western Europe Since 1945 Certificate in as little as two weeks. Review World War I events and then dive into the Cold War and national developments in the postwar period.
Who's This For?
Teachers, authors, researchers and museum workers might be interested in this course's topics. In addition, parents who have children studying this area of history might find this knowledge to be beneficial.
There are no prerequisites to sign up for this course. You can get started today in your quest to learn more about Western Europe since 1945.
Benefits of the Certificate
Those who complete this course could use the certificate in a number of ways:
- Enhance your knowledge of Western European history and use it in social settings, volunteer positions or your work life
- List this course on your résumé or on your Linkedin profile
- Demonstrate your mastery of modern Western European history
- Prove to employers that you're committed to continuing your education
Western Europe Since 1945 Program Breakdown
Review of World War II
This chapter can help you revisit how the war got started and what brought it to an end. Review the rise of Hitler, the D-Day invasion, the European and Pacific Ocean theaters of the war, alliances made and expansions accomplished.
The Cold War in Western & Eastern Europe
Find out the causes and early events of the Cold War. Hear about the descent of the Iron Curtain and how the tension between the US and the Soviets grew. Meet Nikita Khrushchev and learn about his life, achievements and policies.
The End of the Cold War
Observe the fall of the Soviet Union, the collapse of the Communist BLOC, the reunification of East and West Germany and the end of communism in Eastern Europe. This chapter will also introduce you to Gorbachev and Yeltsin.
National Developments in the Postwar Period
Find out what was going on politically, social and economically in Poland, Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, Italy, Ireland and Great Britain after the war. Also, explore decolonization and nationalism in Israel, Egypt, Africa, Algeria, Indonesia, Vietnam, India and Pakistan.
The History of the European Union
Trace the development of the European Union from the beginning of European cooperation through the fall of the Berlin Wall and European expansion.
The Institutions of the European Union
Study to understand the European Parliament, European Council, European Commission, European Central Bank and the European Court of Auditors.
European Government, Political Processes and Institutions
This chapter discusses treaties of the European Union, the political system and concepts of constitutional monarchies and republics.
European Political Parties
Explore the wide variety of European political parties and become familiar with their development, positions, influence and size.
European Issues and Policies
This chapter outlines the financial frameworks, policies and directives historically and follows them up through today's current events in areas such as energy and defense.
Government of the United Kingdom
Delve into the history of the royal family, Prime Minister and Cabinet, along with the accompanying roles and powers.
Government of France
Meet the legislative and judicial branches of the French Republic, in addition to the ombudsman. Explore the primary principles of French law and how local government is used in this country.
Government of Germany
Revisit the history of the Constitution of Germany in this chapter, while taking a look at the powers, roles and methods of appointment associated with the executive, legislative and judicial branches of the Federal Republic.
Government of Spain
Grasp the history of the Monarchy of Spain and learn about the current structure made up of the President and Council of Ministers. Look at an overview of the entire governmental structure in Spain.
Government of Italy
Gaze back at the history and constitutional development through the years. Learn about the current role and powers of the President and branches of government. You can also find out about the main political parties of Italy in this chapter.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Homeschooling Your ADHD Child with Animated Video Lessons
- Animation Video: Becoming a Computer Animator
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- How to Become a Video Game Animator: Career Guide
- Fewer Job Opportunities and Higher Tuition Don't Deter Prospective Law Students
- Western Washington University Video Review
- Western Kentucky University Video Review
- Event Planning Professions Video: How to Become an Event Planner
- TEKS - Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses