- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 89
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Why Communication Matters in the Workplace
Course SummaryTake Workplace Communication for Teachers to earn 3 college credits to apply toward your licensure renewal requirements. Learn with fun and engaging communications video lessons that you can watch around your teaching schedule.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
11 chapters in Workplace Communication for Teachers: Professional Development
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
How It Works
Earn professional development credits to renew your communications teaching license with Workplace Communication for Teachers. Brush up on workplace communication topics so you can better teach interpersonal communication, speech, and other communications topics. Learn on your own schedule and at your own pace. You can complete this course in under two weeks - perfect for teachers who need to earn communications credits in a hurry!
- Watch engaging video lessons about communicating in the workplace and developing messages.
- Check your knowledge of things like using visuals in workplace communication and delivering presentations in the workplace with practice quizzes and exams.
- Ask clarification questions from our expert communications instructors.
- Earn 3 college credits by taking the UExcel Workplace Communication exam.
Always check with your school district or state Department of Education to ensure that the course credits will be accepted before beginning the course. UExcel credits are accepted by over 1,000 schools and directly by many state departments of education.
Who's It For?
Workplace Communication for Teachers is ideal for any teachers looking to earn credits to use toward licensure renewal. The flexible, self-paced format makes it easy to fit your studies into a busy schedule. The course is fully online, so you can study anytime, anywhere. This course also benefits:
- Communications and speech teachers who want to brush up on workplace communication techniques
- Teachers who want to incorporate engaging workplace communication videos into their instruction
- Teachers planning a workplace communication unit or course
- Aspiring communications teachers
Why It Works
- Fun and Engaging: Animations and interesting examples make workplace communication easy to learn.
- Expert Instructors: Expert communications instructors break difficult concepts down so they are easy to remember.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Quizzes and practice exams let you review workplace communication terminology and key concepts and track what you've mastered.
- Quick and Flexible: Learn on your own schedule and on any device. You could earn communications credits in less than two weeks.
- Access our full library of professional development courses for teachers, including Public Speaking for Teachers, Technical Writing for Teachers, and Supervision Principles for Teachers.
- Find 10,000 engaging lessons that you can use in your classroom or assign out to students.
- Watch more lessons in workplace communication as well as public speaking, business communications, speech, and other communications topics.
- Earn transferable college credit for dozens of courses.
Evaluate This Course
After you've worked through all or part of the course, please share your feedback with us! We take the quality of our lessons and courses very seriously and appreciate any comments on how we can improve your experience. If you'd like to let us know how effective you found this course, please fill out our survey by clicking on this link.
Course Plan for Earning Credit in Less Than Two Weeks
Follow this course plan if you want to complete Workplace Communication for Teachers and be ready to earn transferable credit in less than two weeks. For each chapter assignment, take all of the lesson quizzes and the practice chapter exam at the end of each chapter. If you miss any questions, review the video lesson to master the concept.
|Day||Assignment||What You'll Learn|
|Day 1||Chapter 1||Communicating in the Workplace (internal and external workplace communication, organizational communication, the communication process, types of communication, implicit and explicit rules of communication)|
|Day 2||Chapter 2||Communication and Diversity (self-aware and adaptive communication, empathic communication, cross-cultural communication, masculine vs. feminine cultures, monochromic vs. polychromic cultures)|
|Day 3||Chapter 3||Communicating in Groups (strengths and weaknesses of group decision making, difference between groups and teams, types of work teams, roles of group members)|
|Day 4||Chapter 4||Messages in Business Communication (routine and positive messages in the workplace, strategies for delivering negative messages, persuasive messages in the workplace)|
|Day 5||Chapter 5||Planning to Communicate in the Workplace (adapting your message to your audience, choosing your channel of communication, locating research materials)|
|Day 6||Chapter 6||Developing Your Message in the Workplace (selecting the best words for your message, using nondiscriminatory language in business communication, writing effective sentences in business communication, visual design of your message)|
|Day 7||Chapter 7||Completing Your Message in the Workplace (proofreading your message, revising your message, importance of message follow-up)|
|Day 8||Chapter 8||Using Visuals in Workplace Communication (role of visuals in communication, using visuals to present data, ethical considerations for using visuals in workplace communication)|
|Day 9||Chapter 9||Communicating with Technology in the Workplace (using electronic channels of communication, writing effective emails in the workplace, using instant and text messaging in the workplace, social networking)|
|Day 10||Chapter 10||Business Reports and Proposals (informational and analytical reports, executive summaries, using wikis for collaborative report writing)|
|Day 11||Chapter 11||Resumes and Cover Letters (resume parts, resume formats, importance of the cover letter)|
|Day 12||Chapter 12||Delivering Presentations in the Workplace (practicing a presentation, overcoming speech anxiety, types of slides, formatting text in PowerPoint)|
|Day 13||Final Exam||Take the practice final exam to see what you've mastered and make sure you are ready to earn credit for workplace communication|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- North Dakota Teacher Licensure Renewal
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- Minnesota Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Louisiana Teaching Certificate Renewal Requirements
- Ohio Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Tennessee Teacher Certification: Licensure & Requirements
- Kansas Teacher Certification Renewal Requirements
- Nebraska Teacher Certificate Renewal Requirements
- Arkansas Teacher Certification Renewal Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses