- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 16
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Effective Business Communication?
Course SummaryUse this course to help your company's employees become more effective at business writing. These lively video lessons describe various methods of writing for business, how to craft a strong message and ways to tailor the message for the audience so your employees can become effective business communicators.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
About This Course
This course contains several chapters of short video lessons that explore various types of writing for business. Your employees will learn about the reasons for business communications, how to choose the most important type, proofreading, ways to avoid common mistakes and how to write strong sentences.
How It Works
Your employees can watch these lessons on their own or as part of a group corporate training session. The lessons can be viewed anytime, from anywhere, on a computer or mobile device.
Course features you will appreciate include:
- Video lessons of about five to ten minutes each, many with examples of business writing
- Multiple-choice lessons quizzes that let your employees check their knowledge of business communication techniques
- Chapter exams that verify understanding of important topics
- A comprehensive final exam to assess employee learning
How It Helps
- Presents a professional demeanor: Employees trained in business writing procedures can give your organization a professional voice in their communications, improving the recipient's perception of the business.
- Reduces liability: This course teaches your employees about the common mistakes in business communications, such as sending angry e-mails, and also discusses the importance of avoiding discriminatory language. Knowing how to avoid these issues can prevent problems down the road for your business.
- Improves communication: Employees trained in business writing are able to express themselves clearly and in the most appropriate and efficient manner. This prevents time being spent in lengthy conversations and meetings and also gets the matter preserved for future reference.
|Chapter||Topics & Objectives|
|Beginning Steps in Business Writing||Learn about types of business communication, why professionalism is important, how to customize the message for the recipient and purposes of business writing.|
|Crafting a Message in Business Writing||Find out how to choose non-discriminatory language, why active voice and verbs are useful and how to write effective sentences. See methods of crafting strong paragraphs and how to organize the message.|
|Polishing Business Writing Skills||See proofreading methods, ways to utilize technology in business writing and common mistakes in business communications.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Business Writing Courses and Training Programs
- Business and Technical Writing Training Programs and Courses
- Business Writing Classes, Courses and Certifications Overview
- List of Free Online Business Writing Courses and Classes
- Top Schools for Technical and Business Writing
- Tips for Writing an Effective Cover Letter
- Business Writing Degree and Training Program Information
- Career Information for a Degree in Technical or Business Writing
- California Elementary School Combines Reading Encouragement with Business Writing
- Career Info for a Degree in General Technical & Business Writing
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses