Copyright

Hydrology Terms Flashcards

Hydrology Terms Flashcards
1/15 (missed) 0 0
Create Your Account To Continue Studying

As a member, you'll also get unlimited access to over 79,000 lessons in math, English, science, history, and more. Plus, get practice tests, quizzes, and personalized coaching to help you succeed.

Try it risk-free
Try it risk-free for 30 days. Cancel anytime
Already registered? Log in here for access
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Precipitation
A scientific term for rain. Water moves from the atmosphere to the ground when this occurs.
Got it
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Condensation
This is the name of water transport when vapor transforms back into a liquid.
Got it
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Evaporation
Water is transported in this way when it transforms into vapor. This vapor then joins the atmosphere.
Got it
Reservoir
Term used to refer to something that can store water. The amount of time the water can be stored varies. Some examples include glaciers, oceans, lakes, groundwater and the atmosphere.
Got it
Fresh Water: Locations

Glaciers and icebergs - 68.7%

Ground water - 30.1%

Surface water - 0.3%

Got it
Water: Locations on Earth
97% of this is found in the oceans. The other 3% is considered to be fresh water that we can drink. Most of this fresh water is either frozen or underground.
Got it
Water Cycle / Hydrologic Cycle
The cycle that describes how water moves and is stored on the Earth.
Got it

Ready to move on?

or choose a specific lesson: See all lessons in this chapter
15 cards in set

Flashcard Content Overview

This set of flashcards can serve as a study tool to help you focus on the field of hydrology and the job of hydrologists. You can focus on the hydrologic cycle and the locations where water is found on Earth. Furthermore, these cards give you the chance to review the methods of transportation found in the hydrologic cycle, including:

  • Evaporation
  • Condensation
  • Precipitation
  • Runoff
  • Infiltration
  • Sublimation
  • Melting
  • Groundwater flow
Front
Back
Water Cycle / Hydrologic Cycle
The cycle that describes how water moves and is stored on the Earth.
Water: Locations on Earth
97% of this is found in the oceans. The other 3% is considered to be fresh water that we can drink. Most of this fresh water is either frozen or underground.
Fresh Water: Locations

Glaciers and icebergs - 68.7%

Ground water - 30.1%

Surface water - 0.3%

Reservoir
Term used to refer to something that can store water. The amount of time the water can be stored varies. Some examples include glaciers, oceans, lakes, groundwater and the atmosphere.
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Evaporation
Water is transported in this way when it transforms into vapor. This vapor then joins the atmosphere.
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Condensation
This is the name of water transport when vapor transforms back into a liquid.
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Precipitation
A scientific term for rain. Water moves from the atmosphere to the ground when this occurs.
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Runoff
A term used to describe the movement of water across ground.
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Infiltration
Water moves in this way when it sinks into soil and turns into groundwater.
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Sublimation
You can use this term when talking about the movement of water from the atmosphere to the ground as snow.
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Melting
Frozen water moves in this way when it heats up and turns back into a liquid.
Water Cycle Methods of Transportation: Groundwater Flow
It is difficult to see water moving in this way, because it occurs beneath the surface of the Earth.
Hydrology
This study is focused on the water found on Earth. It is an offshoot of geography that's especially concerned with how water moves and the properties of this liquid.
Hydrologist
We use this term when talking about someone in the field of hydrology. They study the water cycle and may focus on flooding, irrigation, or water related problem solving.
Geography
A scientific branch concerned with studying the physical features and atmosphere of our planet. Hydrology is one field contained in this aspect of science.

To unlock this flashcard set you must be a Study.com Member.
Create your account

Unlock Your Education

See for yourself why 30 million people use Study.com

Become a Study.com member and start learning now.
Become a Member

Already a member? Log In

Support