About MTEL Exams
Massachusetts Tests for Educator Licensure (MTEL) exams are used for teacher certification purposes in the state of Massachusetts. The exams, which are administered by Pearson Education, Inc., are available for aspiring PreK-12, vocational and adult education teachers. The exams cover many academic subjects, including biology, business, English, math, music, physical education and speech. MTEL exams are designed to evaluate candidates on the types of literacy, communication and academic skills that are needed in order to teach professionally in the state.
Licensure requirements for PreK-12 educators involve passing the MTEL Communication and Literacy Assessment plus subject-specific assessments based on the candidate's desired areas of specialization. Those who are pursuing a Preliminary Vocational Technical license must pass a written and performance subject matter test, plus either the Vocational Technical Literacy Test or the Communication and Literacy Skills test. Provisional and Professional Adult Basic Education licenses require candidates to pass the Communication and Literacy Skills test and the Adult Basic Education subject matter test. Be sure to check with the official MTEL website for additional licensing requirements pertaining your professional goals.
MTEL tests generally consist of multiple-choice questions and open-response assignents. Most exams are 4 hours long, and they contain around 100 multiple-choice questions and 2 open-response assignments each. MTEL exams are available throughout the year, and scores range between 100 and 300. In most cases, the passing score for an MTEL assessment is 240. You can register for your exams on the official MTEL website, and following your exam date, you'll be able to receive your scores by mail, email or via download from your MTEL account.
To start getting ready for an MTEL exam, check out our available MTEL test preparation courses:
- MTEL Academically Advanced (52): Test Prep & Study Guide
- MTEL Adult Basic Education: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Biology: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Business: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Chemistry: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Communication & Literacy Skills: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Early Childhood: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Earth Science (14): Test Prep & Study Guide
- MTEL English as a Second Language: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL English: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Foundations of Reading: Study Guide & Prep
- MTEL General Curriculum: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL General Science: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL History: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Mathematics (Elementary): Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Mathematics (Middle School): Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Mathematics/Science (Middle School): Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Middle School Humanities: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Physical Education (22): Study Guide & Test Prep
- MTEL Physics: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Political Science/Political Philosophy: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Reading Specialist: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Sheltered English Immersion: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Speech: Practice & Study Guide
- MTEL Vocational Technical Literacy Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide
About Study.com MTEL Courses
MTEL exams can cover a lot of information, which is why we've crafted our test preparation courses with simplicity and flexibility in mind. The courses go over the types of academic and instructional concepts that you'll encounter on your exam, and our MTEL lessons are all taught by subject matter experts. Inside each course, you'll find bite-sized video lessons, transcripts and multiple-choice quizzes. As you work through a course, use the dashboard feature to navigate to the chapter topics you want to study. Then, you can watch each video lesson and follow along with the accompanying transcripts. When you're finished with a lesson, take the accompanying quiz to make sure you fully understand key terms and concepts. By repeating this process for every lesson in the course, you should be completely confident by your exam date.
Additionally, our courses include comprehensive practice tests that are designed in the style and format of actual MTEL exams. Take these practice exams to get familiar with the MTEL's question types and difficulty level. You can also use the practice test results to determine which topics you may need to spend more time studying. If you need any extra help along the way, we have you covered! The Ask the Expert feature allows you to submit any questions you may have about the course material. We've also made the courses accessible on any Internet-connected device and available at any time of day or night. This way, you can study for your MTEL exam wherever and whenever it's convenient.
Easily Master Any Subject
Watch short, fun videos taught by great teachersCreate an Account