To become a licensed teacher in the state of Minnesota, you'll need to pass Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations (MTLE). These exams can fulfill licensure requirements for different types of teacher certifications, including initial teacher licensure and current teachers from out of state who need to become certified in Minnesota. Depending on your situation, you may need to take the Minnesota NES Essential Academic Skills (EAS) exam and one or more pedagogical and content-area examinations. You can check the official MTLE website to see which tests you need to take based on your professional goals.
There are three types of MTLE assessments that evaluate the skills and knowledge required to teach in Minnesota public schools. The Minnesota NES Essential Academic Skills (EAS) exam is a three-part assessment that has a Reading subtest (45 multiple-choice questions), a Writing subtest (36 multiple-choice questions, plus one written assignment) and a Mathematics subtest (45 multiple-choice questions). The total exam takes around four hours to complete, and in order to pass, candidates must achieve a score of 520 on each subtest. There are also three pedagogy tests for early childhood, elementary and secondary grade levels. These two-hour-long assessments are computer-based, and they each contain 100 multiple-choice questions (50 per subtest). A score of 240 for each subtest is needed to pass the pedagogy assessments. Finally, there are content-area tests that evaluate your knowledge in specific academic subjects, such as chemistry, ESL, health, mathematics, social studies and visual arts.
Most MTLE exams are offered throughout the year by appointment, and you can register for your exams on the MTLE website. There are also testing centers located throughout Minnesota and other states. Following your exam, you'll receive a full score report via email or from your MTLE account.
We currently offer the following MTLE test preparation courses:
- MTLE Basic Skills: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Business: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Chemistry: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Communication Arts/Literature: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Early Childhood Education: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Earth & Space Science: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Elementary Education: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE English as a Second Language (Grades K-12): Study Guide & Practice
- MTLE Family & Consumer Sciences (Grades 5-12): Study Guide & Practice
- MTLE Health: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Life Science: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Middle Level Communication Arts/Literature: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Middle Level Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Middle Level Science: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Pedagogy - Elementary (Grades K-6): Study Guide & Practice
- MTLE Pedagogy - Secondary (Grades 5-12): Study Guide & Practice
- MTLE Physical Education: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Physics: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Practice & Study Guide
- MTLE Social Studies: Practice & Study Guide
About Study.com MTLE Courses
To help you successfully prepare for your upcoming MTLE exams, we've created comprehensive study guide courses with a variety of supplemental learning tools/features. Each course covers concepts you can expect to find on the MTLE exams, and they consist of engaging video lessons that are usually under 10 minutes in length. These simple lessons help you quickly learn new concepts as you progress throughout the course. Our lessons also come with word-for-word transcripts that you can print out for offline study. Be sure to take the quizzes that follow each lesson so you can memorize key terms and reinforce your understanding of important MTLE topics. You'll see which questions you answer correctly, as well as the ones you miss. The quiz will even direct you back to the point in the video where you can find the correct answer. Your course dashboard keeps track of your progress so you can always know what you've studied and how much more you need to review before your exam date.
We've also developed comprehensive MTLE practice tests that are designed in the style and difficulty level of the actual MTLE exams. Take the practice tests to get comfortable with the exam's format and gain confidence before test day. The course can be accessed whenever you have free time in your schedule, and you can study on any device that has an Internet connection. This flexibility enables you to study for the MTLE at home, work, school or even when you're on the go. Finally, we offer personalized tutoring so you can be sure you fully understand the material. Whenever you have a question about an MTLE topic, feel free to use the Ask the Expert feature; you'll receive a response from one of our subject matter experts.
Easily Master Any Subject
Watch short, fun videos taught by great teachersCreate an Account