The New York State Teacher Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) are intended for individuals who are seeking various types of teaching certificates in the state of New York. Aligned with New York State learning standards, NYSTCE tests can be taken by prospective teachers, teaching assistants and school leaders. There are many NYSTCE types that are offered, and the tests you'll need to take differ depending on the type of teacher certificate you're pursuing. Some of the tests you could take include the Educating All Students (EAS) exam, the Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills (ATAS), the Communication and Quantitative Skills Test (CQST), plus a variety of school leadership, content specialty, safety net and bilingual education assessments.
The EAS test, which is required for most teacher licenses, contains 40 selected-response and 3 constructed-response questions that must be answered in two hours and 15 minutes. A passing score of 520 is required for this exam. For the ATAS, you'll have three hours to answer 100 selected-response questions. The passing score for the ATAS is 220. The CQST also has 100 selected-response questions and a required passing score of 220; however, test takers have a total of four hours to complete the assessment. Most content specialty, school leadership, safety net and bilingual education assessments are scored on a 100-300 scale, and the passing score for those exams is typically 220. Because passing scores, fees and requirements vary between most NYSTCE exams, we encourage you to check the official NYSTCE website for specific information regarding the exams you want or need to take.
NYSTCE exams are typically available by appointment throughout the year. The tests are generally offered on Mondays through Saturdays, and testing centers are located throughout New York and other states. Following your exam date, you'll receive a detailed score report by email or from your NYSTCE account. The website also contains exact score report dates for individual NYSTCE exams.
We currently offer the following NYSTCE test preparation courses:
- NYSTCE Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST): Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE ATAS: Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE Biology: Practice and Study Guide
- NYSTCE Business and Marketing: Practice and Study Guide
- NYSTCE Chemistry: Practice and Study Guide
- NYSTCE Communication & Quantitative Skills Test: Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Secondary Teachers: Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE CST Multi-Subject - Teachers of Middle Childhood: Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE Earth Science: Practice and Study Guide
- NYSTCE EAS - Educating All Students: Study Guide & Test Prep
- NYSTCE English Language Arts: Practice and Study Guide
- NYSTCE ESOL: Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE Health Education: Practice and Study Guide
- NYSTCE Library Media Specialist: Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE Literacy: Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Childhood (Grades 1-6): Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE Multi-Subject - Teachers of Early Childhood (Birth-Grade 2): Practice & Study Guide
- NYSTCE Music: Practice and Study Guide
- NYSTCE Physics: Practice and Study Guide
- NYSTCE Social Studies: Practice & Study Guide
About Study.com NYSTCE Courses
Our NYSTCE study guide courses are designed specifically to correspond with the topics that appear on the actual NYSTCE exams. You'll learn from subject matter experts who use a simplified and engaging teaching style. As you study for the exams, you'll review short video lessons that are accompanied by printable transcripts and self-assessment quizzes. You can review the lesson materials at your own pace and return to them at any point throughout your studying process. Your course dashboard will keep track of your progress, and it allows you to navigate to specific chapters. Be sure to take the chapter exams and NYSTCE practice tests to solidify your understanding of the topics you study. These assessments will also help you get comfortable with the NYSTCE's exam format, and they'll show you which concepts you may want to go back and review again.
The courses are accessible online at any time of day or night. This 24/7 availability helps you study whenever you have free time in your schedule. You can use your computer or laptop to work through your courses, and we've even developed a mobile app to help you review NYSTCE concepts when you're on the go. You'll also have access to personalized tutoring. Whenever you have a question, simply use the Ask the Expert feature to reach out to our tutors. You'll receive a detailed response that will clear up any confusion you may have.
Easily Master Any Subject
Watch short, fun videos taught by great teachersCreate an Account