Administered by Pearson Education's Evaluation Systems group, the Washington Educator Skills Tests (WEST) are intended for aspiring teachers who are seeking licensure in the state of Washington, admission into a teacher certification program or an endorsement in a specific academic subject.
The Washington Educator Skills Test-Basic (WEST-B) is a three-part exam that evaluates you on reading, writing and mathematics skills. The Reading and Mathematics sections each contain 60 multiple-choice questions, and the Writing subtest consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and two writing prompts.
This exam is mainly intended for prospective candidates who are applying to teacher education programs, as well as out-of-state teachers who want to become certified in Washington. You may also need to pass one of the Washington Educator Skills Tests-Endorsements (WEST-E) exams, which cover subjects including humanities, world language, computer science and more. Most WEST-E exams contain 110 multiple-choice questions that must be completed within a 2-3 hour timeframe. The passing score for WEST-E exams is 240.
For certification in other academic subjects, some Washington teacher candidates will need to take National Evaluation Series (NES) exams. NES tests are computer-based assessments that evaluate prospective teachers on national learning standards and the types of instructional skills that are needed for the profession. Some of the available NES exam subjects include chemistry, early childhood education, elementary education, music and physics. Upon completion of most exams, candidates will receive their scores immediately.
Most NES and WEST tests are available by appointment throughout the year. Candidates can locate nearby testing centers and upcoming test dates on the official WEST website. The website also contains more specific information regarding which tests you need to take based on your academic and professional situation.
To start preparing, take a look at our available WEST courses:
- NES Biology - WEST (305): Practice & Study Guide
- NES Earth & Space Science - WEST (307): Practice & Study Guide
- NES Essential Components of Elementary Reading Instruction - WEST (104): Practice & Study Guide
- NES General Science - WEST (311): Practice & Study Guide
- NES Mathematics - WEST (304): Practice & Study Guide
- NES Middle Grades General Science - WEST (204): Practice & Study Guide
- NES Music - WEST (504): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST Business & Marketing Education (038): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST Chemistry (306): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST Early Childhood Education (101): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST Elementary Education Subtest I (102): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST Elementary Education Subtest II (103): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST English Language Arts (301): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST Health/Fitness (029): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST History (027): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST Middle Grades Mathematics (203): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST Middle Level Humanities (Subtests 1 & 2)(052/053): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST Physics (308): Test Practice & Study Guide
- WEST-B Mathematics (097): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST-B Reading (095): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST-B Reading, Writing & Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide
- WEST-B Writing (096): Practice & Study Guide
- WEST-E English Language Learners (051): Study Guide & Practice
- WEST-E Family & Consumer Sciences Education (041): Study Guide & Practice
- WEST-E Social Studies (028): Study Guide & Practice
- WEST-E Special Education (070): Study Guide & Practice
- WEST-W Early Childhood Special Education (071): Study Guide & Practice
About Study.com WEST Courses
Our WEST test preparation courses offer you a fast and effective way to review the academic and instructional concepts that you'll likely find on your teacher certification exam. Taught by expert instructors, our courses are comprised of bite-sized video lessons that are specifically aligned with WEST exam topics. The short and engaging nature of the lessons helps you easily understand important terms and remember the information you study. Accompanying each lesson is a short quiz to reinforce the material, as well as a printable transcript that you can use to take notes or study offline. Be sure to take the chapter exams to retain your knowledge as you move through your course. Your course dashboard will keep track of your progress so you can always know what you've studied and how far you have to go.
We've also created plenty of practice assessments to help you get comfortable with the style, question format and difficulty level of the WEST exams. Take the practice tests to see which concepts you've mastered and which ones you should go back and study further. If you need any extra help along the way, try the Ask the Expert feature. This feature allows you to submit questions to our subject matter experts at any time.
If you're worried about finding the time to study, don't worry! We've designed these courses to be as convenient and flexible as possible. They're available at any time of day or night, and you can access them on virtually any device that has an Internet connection. This way, you'll be able to study at home, school, work or on the easy-to-use Study.com mobile app.
Easily Master Any Subject
Watch short, fun videos taught by great teachersCreate an Account