About the ASVAB
The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is an assessment used for placement in several U.S. military branches, including the Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force and Marine Corps. The ASVAB measures a candidate's basic eligibility for enlistment and determines for which specialized military positions a candidate is a good fit. There are ten subject areas on the exam, including science, reading, math and technology. Four of the ten exam sections make up the Armed Forces Qualification Test (AFQT); this collection of subtests includes Arithmetic Reasoning, Mathematics Knowledge, Paragraph Comprehension and Word Knowledge.
The ASVAB consists entirely of multiple-choice questions, and there are two versions of the exam. The paper-based version of the exam takes about 3 hours to complete, and each section contains between 15 and 35 questions. A computer-based version is also available, and it can usually be completed in a 90-minute timeframe. ASVAB scores are given as percentiles, which means that if you earned a 50 on the test, you've scored in the 50th percentile of test-takers. Note that each branch of the military has a different minimum AQFT score.
The test is typically offered in Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS), as well as high schools, reserve centers and federal office buildings. Arrangements for testing must be made through a military recruiter, so be sure to locate your nearest military recruitment center to learn how to begin the ASVAB registration process.
We currently offer the following courses:
- ASVAB - General Science: Practice & Study Guide
- ASVAB Mathematics Knowledge: Study Guide & Test Prep
- ASVAB Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery: Practice & Study Guide
- AFOQT: Practice & Study Guide
About Study.com ASVAB Courses
To help you successfully prepare for the ASVAB, we've designed comprehensive study guides and test preparation courses that cover all the topics you'll be tested on. Study these resources at your convenience to master ASVAB concepts and gain confidence before your exam.
As you work through our ASVAB courses, you'll watch expertly taught video lessons that present the material in an easily digestible manner. You'll study important terms and formulas, and you can complete these lessons by watching the videos or reading the lessons. When you're finished with each lesson, take the accompanying quiz to solidify your understanding of key ASVAB concepts. If you get an answer wrong, we'll show you where to locate the appropriate information in the lesson, so there is no guesswork involved!
While studying, test your knowledge with our full ASVAB practice exams. Designed in the style of the actual test, these practice assessments help you get comfortable with the exam's multiple-choice question format and difficulty level. You'll see which answers you missed, so you can go back and further review the information. If you need any clarification on a lesson topic, simply reach out to our tutors using the Ask the Expert feature. And don't worry about staying on top of your studies - your course dashboard will keep track of your progress, and you can access the materials at any time that fits your schedule.
How It Works
- Choose a course: Our study guides will help you review topics you may be rusty on as well as learn new concepts that you'll need to know for the test.
- Watch fun and engaging videos: Each study guide breaks concepts down into bite-sized chunks that are easy to learn. Our courses are designed so that you can go at your own pace, making sure you've fully mastered each topic before moving on to the next.
- Test yourself with practice quizzes and exams: Use the practice quizzes to assess your knowledge and see how ready you are for your military placement exams.
- Get help from our expert instructors: Our instructors are here to answer any questions you may have on the lesson material.
Who Are Our Courses For?
- Students preparing for a military placement exam
- Students who need to fill in knowledge gaps
- Students looking for an alternative to tutoring
- Students who prefer to learn from engaging video content rather than a dry textbook
Why Our Courses Work
- Learn at your own pace: There are no deadlines in our courses, and content does not expire. Work through the lessons as slowly or quickly as you choose.
- Study where you want: Our lessons can be accessed on a computer, tablet, or phone, so you can study at home or on the go.
- Progress tracking is easy: Your personal dashboard will track your progress through each course, so you can see how far you've come and what you still need to cover.
- Practice problems and quizzes: The practice problems and quizzes will give you an idea of what to expect on your placement exam.
Easily Master Any Subject
Watch short, fun videos taught by great teachersCreate an Account