Advanced Placement (AP) tests were developed by the College Board with the goal of assisting high school students as well as homeschooled and independent study students in earning college credits through examinations. Currently, the AP Program offers 38 tests. Scores from these tests are accepted for credit and/or advanced placement at most two- and four-year colleges and universities globally.
AP tests are administered at high schools or school-designated off-site testing locations and are conducted in the spring school semester on a specific schedule. On average, these tests last about two to three hours. The first part of a test usually consists of multiple-choice questions, while the second part typically features free-response questions. Scores granted range from 1-5 with 3 being the minimum recommended score.
Please note that, while these tests are administered following the conclusion of an AP course, students are not required to take an AP course before taking the corresponding test.
To build your knowledge of key concepts covered on these tests and ensure you're ready and able to earn a high score, feel free to take advantage of test prep courses for the following AP tests:
- AP Art History: Exam Prep
- AP Biology: Exam Prep
- AP Calculus AB & BC: Exam Prep
- AP Calculus AB: Exam Prep
- AP Calculus BC: Exam Prep
- AP Chemistry: Exam Prep
- AP Comparative Government and Politics: Exam Prep
- AP English Language: Exam Prep
- AP English Literature: Exam Prep
- AP Environmental Science: Exam Prep
- AP European History: Exam Prep
- AP Human Geography: Exam Prep
- AP Macroeconomics: Exam Prep
- AP Microeconomics: Exam Prep
- AP Music Theory: Exam Prep
- AP Physics 1: Exam Prep
- AP Physics 2: Exam Prep
- AP Physics C - Electricity & Magnetism: Exam Prep
- AP Physics C - Mechanics: Exam Prep
- AP Psychology: Exam Prep
- AP Spanish Language and Culture: Exam Prep
- AP Spanish Literature and Culture: Exam Prep
- AP Statistics: Exam Prep
- AP US Government and Politics: Exam Prep
- AP US History: Exam Prep
- AP World History: Exam Prep
About Study.com AP Courses
Our test prep courses can eliminate any concerns you have about what to expect when taking your AP test. Each course is filled with video lessons and transcripts you can watch or read at your convenience and revisit as many times as needed. Our instructors present the lessons in an entertaining manner that keeps you engaged while helping you quickly absorb important topics covered on the AP test.
Self-assessment options make it easy to find out how much information you've retained in the courses you study. Multiple-choice quizzes can check your comprehension of each lesson, and broader exams can gauge your knowledge of each chapter as well as the entire course.
As you navigate through the courses, be sure to stop by the dashboard to track your progress. You can also submit any lesson topic questions using the Ask Our Experts feature. If you have a busy schedule, don't worry! Around-the-clock access using any computer, smartphone or tablet lets you utilize these AP test prep resources during timeframes and in internet-enabled locations that best suit your schedule.
Easily Master Any Subject
Watch short, fun videos taught by great teachersCreate an Account