Copyright

Calculating Energy Efficiency

An error occurred trying to load this video.

Try refreshing the page, or contact customer support.

Coming up next: Energy Resources: Definition & Uses

You're on a roll. Keep up the good work!

Take Quiz Watch Next Lesson
 Replay
Your next lesson will play in 10 seconds
  • 0:04 What is Energy Efficiency?
  • 0:35 The Formula
  • 1:27 Calculating
  • 2:41 Example of Energy Efficiency
  • 3:47 Lesson Summary
Save Save Save

Want to watch this again later?

Log in or sign up to add this lesson to a Custom Course.

Log in or Sign up

Timeline
Autoplay
Autoplay
Speed Speed

Recommended Lessons and Courses for You

Lesson Transcript
Instructor: Yuanxin (Amy) Yang Alcocer

Amy has a master's degree in secondary education and has taught math at a public charter high school.

In science class, energy efficiency is not so much about using an LED light versus an incandescent or fluorescent light. No, it's about how much energy you get from something versus the amount of energy you put in.

What Is Energy Efficiency?

You have probably heard the words 'energy efficiency' in connection with using energy efficient appliances for financial and environmental benefit. In the sciences, though, energy efficiency gets a bit more technical.

Energy efficiency is how much energy is produced in a process versus the amount of energy given. For example, a light bulb is given a certain amount of electricity. Energy efficiency is about how much of that electricity gets turned into usable light. It's about comparing the output of something versus the input.

The Formula

Now imagine that you are the owner of a local art gallery. You display all your pieces of art from 8 am to 8 pm. You are interested in energy efficiency because you actually spend quite a bit of money on powering all the lights in your gallery.

You want to know just how much of the electricity you pay for actually gets turned into usable light by your light bulbs. To help you figure this out, you use the following formula for finding energy efficiency:


null


  • The Greek letter eta, the one that looks almost like an 'n', represents your energy efficiency.
  • W represents the amount of work or energy in units of Joules. It's multiplied by 100 to turn it into a percentage.

Calculating

Go ahead and use this formula to see just how well your light bulbs are doing their job. Your light bulbs are currently using 4,500 Joules of energy every minute. And every minute, they emit 99 Joules of light energy. So, we get:


null


Wow! Your light bulbs are using a lot of energy but not producing much light. So, where is the rest of the energy going? Remember, the law of conservation of energy says that energy is neither lost or created in any closed system, just changed.

So, since only 2.2% of the electricity you are giving your light bulbs is turning into light, where is the other 97.8% of the electricity going? Have you ever touched a light bulb that's on? Burned your hand didn't it? Yep, that energy turns into heat, lots of heat.

To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member.
Create your account

Register to view this lesson

Are you a student or a teacher?

Unlock Your Education

See for yourself why 30 million people use Study.com

Become a Study.com member and start learning now.
Become a Member  Back
What teachers are saying about Study.com
Try it risk-free for 30 days

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Create an account to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days!
Create an account
Support