Mary Grace has taught first grade for 8 years and has a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education and is licensed in ESL.
What Do Cheetahs Look Like?
One day at lunch, your best friend tells you that cheetahs are the fastest animals in the world and can run as fast as a car! While this may seem like a tall tale, it's just one of the many interesting facts about cheetahs.
Cheetahs are a type of cat called a wildcat. They have long legs and can be over seven feet long from their head to the end of their tail. That's longer than most adult men are tall! They usually are yellow or tan and have black spots. Cheetahs are hard to see in the wild because their fur blends in with their surroundings. This is called camouflage. They usually weigh between 75 and 150 pounds, so between the size of a big kid and a small adult.
What Do Cheetahs Eat?
Cheetahs are meat-eaters or carnivores. They eat antelope and other medium-sized animals, like gazelles, rabbits and impalas. Using keen eyesight and speed, cheetahs stalk their pray during the day. Actually, they run so fast when they are chasing their prey that they have to rest for 30 minutes before they can eat their meal!
Where Do Cheetahs Live?
Cheetahs live in Africa and some areas of Asia. They live in a grassy area called a savanna. A place where an animal lives is called its habitat. There aren't as many cheetahs alive now as there used to be because their habitats are being taken away for buildings and wood. This means that cheetahs are what is called endangered because they are starting to die out.
Fun Facts About Cheetahs
- Cheetahs can run as fast as 70 miles per hour, which is about as fast as a car drives on the highway! They are the fastest animals that live on land.
- Cheetahs are born in litters of three to five cubs at a time. That's like having cheetah triplets, quadruplets, or quintuplets! That's a lot of cheetahs at one time!
- Cheetahs usually live to be between 10 and 12 years old.
- Mother cheetahs chirp to call their baby cheetahs, or cubs.
- Cheetahs have black stripes near their eyes. These stripes act like sunglasses! They protect the cheetah's eyes from the sun!
Cheetahs are a kind of big cat called a wildcat. They are excellent hunters and can run really fast. Cheetahs are hard to see in the wild because their fur works as camouflage to blend into their surroundings. They live in Africa and Asia, in a grassy area called a savanna.
To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member.
Create your account
Register to view this lesson
Unlock Your Education
See for yourself why 30 million people use Study.com
Become a Study.com member and start learning now.Become a Member
Already a member? Log InBack