Dopamine & Serotonin: Functions & Relationship

An error occurred trying to load this video.

Try refreshing the page, or contact customer support.

Coming up next: Fanconi Anemia: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment

You're on a roll. Keep up the good work!

Take Quiz Watch Next Lesson
Your next lesson will play in 10 seconds
  • 0:03 What Are Dopamine and…
  • 0:23 Dopamine
  • 1:45 Serotonin
  • 2:44 Dopamine and Serotonin…
  • 4:12 Lesson Summary
Save Save Save

Want to watch this again later?

Log in or sign up to add this lesson to a Custom Course.

Log in or Sign up

Speed Speed

Recommended Lessons and Courses for You

Lesson Transcript
Instructor: Veronika Polozkova

Masters in International Health. Lesson development experience on different levels from basic alimentary school to academic master level. Languages: English, Dutch, Russian

Dopamine and serotonin are often called the ~'happy chemicals~' in popular blogs and websites. But it is not that simple. Do you want to know what they really are? Find out in this lesson!

What Are Dopamine and Serotonin?

Dopamine and serotonin are both neurotransmitters. They are chemicals that are released from the nerve cells and serve to transfer impulses from nerve cells to other body tissues like other nerve cells, muscles, and organs. These chemicals are very important in sensory perceptions and motoric action-reaction mechanisms.


Dopamine plays an important role in controlling motor behavior, the emotional reward, and behavior motivation mechanisms. It regulates emotional responses, hormone secretion, and motoric actions related to reward sensations. Most types of rewards increase dopamine levels in the brain and cause satisfied feelings, which serves as motivation to perform the behavior in the future.

Deficiency in dopamine leads to reduced motoric function, which can lead to Parkinson's disease and other conditions. Low dopamine levels are also associated with low motivation, vulnerability for addictions, and the addiction mechanism itself. The last has to do with the fact that many addictive substances and behaviors increase dopamine levels in the brain temporarily, stimulating the feeling of satisfaction. Substances with these traits include alcohol and drugs, while behaviors that are addictive include shopping and gambling.

This mechanism can force someone to use a substance again or repeat other addictive behavior in order to re-experience that emotionally positive sensation. This plays a huge role in the recurring drug use that leads to addiction. Very high dopamine levels are linked to mental disorders like schizophrenia, which among other things is characterized by unrealistic perceptions of a situation and emotional arousal.


Serotonin regulates the functioning of the cardiovascular and endocrine systems and has an important role in regulating appetite, sleep, memory, mood, body temperature, and muscle contraction. About 90% of serotonin is found in the intestine, with the remaining 10% in the central nervous system. Low serotonin levels are associated with insomnia or sleeplessness, decreased empathy, anxiety disorders, memory and learning impairment, mood changes, and depression.

Abnormally high serotonin levels are not common, but do occur in people who are being treated for depression with medications like selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI's), which are commonly prescribed for mental illnesses like depression. SSRI's or supplements can increase serotonin levels. Common symptoms for high serotonin levels are sweating, elevated heartbeat, restlessness, mania, hot and cold flashes, and weight gain.

To unlock this lesson you must be a Member.
Create your account

Register to view this lesson

Are you a student or a teacher?

Unlock Your Education

See for yourself why 30 million people use

Become a member and start learning now.
Become a Member  Back
What teachers are saying about
Try it risk-free for 30 days

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Create an account to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days!
Create an account