Indiana Real Estate Agency Relationships: Rules & Disclosures

Instructor: Tara Schofield
Not sure what type of agency you have with a client? Here are several types that are more frequently seen in real estate transactions, with descriptions of how each agency works with clients or other brokers.

Types of Agency Relationships

There are many ways you can represent buyers and sellers in real estate transactions. Each of these relationships has responsibilities and obligations.

Broker - This is the most common relationship, as a broker is the person who represents either a buyer or seller in a real estate transaction. When you are a broker, you have a responsibility to ensure your client has his or her interests protected. If you are a broker for the seller, your job is to make sure your client gets the most money, best terms, and most ideal sale possible.

In-house agency relationship - This relationship involves both the buyer and the seller who are each represented by different brokers within the same agency. Let's say you work with the local Keller Williams office and your buyer finds a home they want to make an offer on that another broker in your office has listed. Although you are each representing different clients, your clients must be informed that agents in the same brokerage are listing and offering on a home.

Dual agency - An agreement where one agent handles the same transaction for the buyer and seller. This situation can also be called transaction agency because the agent is doing transactional work rather than negotiating and representing. This is not an ideal situation, as it is difficult for a broker to be neutral and favor neither the buyer or seller. When the broker is representing both parties, the seller and buyer must both know about the arrangement and the broker cannot give advice to either party. The agent simply passes on information, offers, requests, and handles the paperwork. The agent cannot effectively represent either party but must be a neutral person to both sides of the transaction.

Managing broker - The person who manages a real estate agency, serves as a mentor to other brokers, and is responsible for actions of agents within the brokerage. If you are a broker, you must have several years of experience before taking additional training and an exam to become a managing broker. You can earn more money, but you are also responsible for ensuring your brokers are following rules and regulations and correctly handling transactions.

To unlock this lesson you must be a Member.
Create your account

Register to view this lesson

Are you a student or a teacher?

Unlock Your Education

See for yourself why 30 million people use

Become a member and start learning now.
Become a Member  Back
What teachers are saying about
Try it risk-free for 30 days

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Create an account to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days!
Create An Account