Tammy teaches business courses at the post-secondary and secondary level and has a master's of business administration in finance.
After this lesson, students will be able to:
- discuss how three main determinants influence health
- identify the positive and negative impacts of those determinants
- explain how individuals can make more healthy choices
Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of science and technical texts, attending to the precise details of explanations or descriptions.
Determine the central ideas or conclusions of a text; trace the text's explanation or depiction of a complex process, phenomenon, or concept; provide an accurate summary of the text.
- Hard copies of the Influences on Health: Social, Cultural & Environmental lesson and lesson quiz
- Begin the lesson by dividing the class into three groups:
- Then ask them to discuss how their assigned topic influences health.
- Allow them to share their responses.
- Then explain that this lesson further explores those three influences of health.
- Distribute a copy of the Influences on Health: Social, Cultural & Environmental lesson, select a volunteer to read the first two paragraphs and this section, 'Social Impacts on Health', then start the following discussion:
- Define determinants and explain their effect on health.
- Explain how societal pressures negatively impacts one's health.
- Can societal influences positively affect an individual's health? If so, explain.
- Have you experienced peer pressure influences regarding your health? If so, explain.
- Discuss how your family influences your health.
- Select another volunteer to read 'Cultural Impacts on Health', then provide these prompts:
- How might a person's religion and culture affect their health?
- Describe how gender plays a role in our health.
- The lesson mentions Latin America and Africa's viewpoint on women, identify other country's influence.
- Next choose another student to read the remainder of the lesson, then ask these questions:
- How do fast-food restaurants impact the community's health?
- Explain how pollution has caused health problems.
- Discuss other environmental factors acknowledged in the lesson that impact a community's health.
- Afterwards, distribute the lesson quiz and allow students to complete it independently, in pairs or groups.
- Then review the answers.
- Begin by asking students what they learned in this lesson.
- Now explain that they are going to further explore how the determinants listed in the lesson and other factors impact health.
- Divide the class into 10 groups and assign one of the following to each:
- Rural residents vs city residents
- Elementary students vs college students
- Unemployed vs the employed
- Developed countries vs economically challenged countries
- Poor vs the rich
- People with access to transportation vs those without
- People who take chemically induced medications vs those who consumer natural, organic medicines
- Residents of countries with access to the internet vs those without freedom to access
- Illegal immigrants vs citizens of the United States
- Religious organizations vs cults
- Now, using the lesson and prior knowledge, ask each group to follow these instructions:
- compare and contrast how your assigned topics might make decisions regarding their health
- list positive and negative effects for each topic
- discuss factors and/or entities that may impact their decisions regarding health
- provide suggestions for how your topics could make healthier choices or promote health
- Afterwards, allow each group to orally present their findings to the class.
- Now, reconvene the class and ask them to discuss changes they could make to promote better health decisions as a result of this lesson.
To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member.
Create your account
Register to view this lesson
Unlock Your Education
See for yourself why 30 million people use Study.com
Become a Study.com member and start learning now.Become a Member
Already a member? Log InBack