Tammy teaches business courses at the post-secondary and secondary level and has a master's of business administration in finance.
By the end of this lesson, students should be able to:
- define pedagogical content knowledge
- identify four features of pedagogical content knowledge
- apply the pedagogical features to real world topics
Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including analyzing how an author uses and refines the meaning of a key term over the course of a text (e.g., how Madison defines faction in Federalist No. 10).
Analyze in detail how a complex primary source is structured, including how key sentences, paragraphs, and larger portions of the text contribute to the whole.
Integrate and evaluate multiple sources of information presented in diverse formats and media (e.g., visually, quantitatively, as well as in words) in order to address a question or solve a problem.
- Copies of the Pedagogical Content Knowledge: Definition & Explanation lesson and lesson quiz
- Begin the lesson by asking students if they've had a class where the teacher was knowledgeable about the content but could not effectively teach the material.
- Allow students to share their experiences.
- Then explain that this lesson defines and explains pedagogical content knowledge.
- Distribute the Pedagogical Content Knowledge: Definition & Explanation lesson, play the video, pause at 01:29, then start the following discussion:
- Define pedagogical content knowledge.
- Provide examples of pedagogical content knowledge.
- Now restart the video, pause at 05:24, then pose these discussion points:
- Explain how to combine content and pedagogical strategies.
- Why is it important to understand student perceptions?
- How would you suggest a teacher analyze the more difficult aspects of a subject?
- Discuss important teaching strategies.
- Afterwards, play the 'Lesson Summary' and distribute the lesson quiz. You may also show the lesson quiz on the screen.
- Allow students to work on the quiz in pairs, then review the answers.
- Prior to this activity, create a critique worksheet with 10 columns and 4 rows. Type the numbers 1 - 10 in each column (this will correspond with the number of groups you have completing the activity) and the following pedagogical content features in each row:
- Combining Content and Pedagogy
- Understanding Student Perceptions
- Deciding a Subject's Difficulty
- Knowing Teaching Strategies
- Begin the activity by asking students what they learned about pedagogical content.
- Then explain that this activity will enhance their understanding of the application.
- Divide the class into 10 groups, then allow each to choose one of the following topics:
- social media
- sports marketing
- nonverbal communication
- online dating
- social injustice
- fashion consciousness
- Afterwards, explain these instructions:
- Imagine you are teaching the assigned topic to high school students
- Peruse the hard copy lesson and outline the pedagogical content features
- Discuss how you would teach the topic using each feature
- Create an outline for how you would teach the topic using all 4 components
- Ask each group to present their plan to teach their topic to high schoolers
- Distribute the critique worksheet to each student and ask them to evaluate each group's teaching outline using this rating system:
- 1 - exceeds expectations
- 2 - meets expectations
- 3 - needs improvement
- Lead a debriefing discussion after each group completes their presentation.
To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member.
Create your account
Register to view this lesson
Unlock Your Education
See for yourself why 30 million people use Study.com
Become a Study.com member and start learning now.Become a Member
Already a member? Log InBack