Copyright

Prophase: Definition & Stages

An error occurred trying to load this video.

Try refreshing the page, or contact customer support.

Coming up next: What Is Interphase? - Definition & Stages

You're on a roll. Keep up the good work!

Take Quiz Watch Next Lesson
 Replay
Your next lesson will play in 10 seconds
  • 0:00 What is Prophase?
  • 0:35 Prophase in Mitosis
  • 1:41 Prophase is Meiosis
  • 2:38 Lesson Summary
Add to Add to Add to

Want to watch this again later?

Log in or sign up to add this lesson to a Custom Course.

Login or Sign up

Timeline
Autoplay
Autoplay
Speed

Recommended Lessons and Courses for You

Lesson Transcript
Instructor: Derrick Arrington

Derrick has taught biology and chemistry at both the high school and college level. He has a master's degree in science education.

Cellular reproduction requires many intricate steps. In this lesson, we will explore the step known as prophase to gain an understanding of what is happening inside our cells.

Definition of Prophase

Two types of cell division occur in all living things. They are known as mitosis and meiosis. Mitosis is the type of cell division that produces new body cells for every part of our bodies. These could be skin cells, blood cells, cells that make up various tissues, and so on. Meiosis is the type of cell division that exclusively produces sex cells (either sperm or eggs). Prophase is the first step of mitosis, during which the cell's chromatin condenses into chromosomes. There are also two stages of prophase in the process of meiosis.

Prophase in Mitosis

Prophase is the first stage of mitosis. It is the stage of mitosis where the cell spends most of its time. Approximately 80% of the cell's time of mitosis is spent in prophase, while the remainder of the steps take up the other 20%. At the beginning of prophase, the membrane that surrounds the nucleus disintegrates. This allows the chromatin to be exposed and worked with during the remainder of prophase. Chromatin is a material made of loose strands of DNA. In this stage, the cell's chromatin tightens, or condenses, into chromosomes, giving them a shape like an 'X.'

This leaves each chromosome with a complete copy of the genetic material of the individual. This means that every cell in our body has chromosomes that contain our genetic material as a result of the prophase stage of mitosis. At the end of prophase, a structure called the mitotic spindle begins to form. This structure is crucial to the entire process of mitosis because it will work later in the process to pull the newly formed chromosomes to each end of the cell before it later divides and forms two cells.

To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member.
Create your account

Register to view this lesson

Are you a student or a teacher?

Unlock Your Education

See for yourself why 30 million people use Study.com

Become a Study.com member and start learning now.
Become a Member  Back
What teachers are saying about Study.com
Try it risk-free for 30 days

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Create an account to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days!
Create An Account
Support