Copyright

Unit Cell: Lattice Parameters & Cubic Structures

An error occurred trying to load this video.

Try refreshing the page, or contact customer support.

Coming up next: Lattice Energy: Definition, Trends & Equation

You're on a roll. Keep up the good work!

Take Quiz Watch Next Lesson
 Replay
Your next lesson will play in 10 seconds
  • 0:04 Unit Cells & Lattice…
  • 0:58 Cubic Unit Cells
  • 1:29 Simple Cubic Structure
  • 2:31 Body-Centered Cubic Structure
  • 3:26 Face-Centered Cubic Structure
  • 4:42 Lesson Summary
Save Save Save

Want to watch this again later?

Log in or sign up to add this lesson to a Custom Course.

Log in or Sign up

Timeline
Autoplay
Autoplay
Speed Speed

Recommended Lessons and Courses for You

Lesson Transcript
Instructor: Stephanie Bryan

Stephanie has a master's degree in Physical Chemistry and teaches college level chemistry and physics.

In this lesson, we describe the lattice parameters of a unit cell and detail three cubic structures, their lattice parameters and equations that describe their geometry.

Unit Cells and Lattice Parameters

Crystal structures are made up of repeating units of atoms in well defined locations in a lattice. In order to describe these structures, it is useful to define the smallest unit of this structure. This is called the unit cell. The unit cell is the smallest unit of a crystal structure that can be used to tile space and make the larger macroscopic structure.

There are many shapes and patterns of unit cells. To describe these shapes, we use lattice parameters, or variables that describe the orientation of the unit cell. The typical lattice parameters that are used are the length of each side, which are typically labelled a, b, and c, and the angles between these sides, which are typically labelled α, β, and γ. In this lesson we are going to discuss three cubic unit cells in detail. A cubic unit cell is exactly the way it sounds: its basic outer structure is a cube.

Cubic Unit Cells

There are three different types of cubic unit cells we will discuss: the simple cubic, the body-centered cubic, and the face-centered cubic structure. While all three of these are cubes, they differ in the way the atoms are arranged inside the cube and therefore have different equations that describe their parameters. However, because all these structures are cubic, the outside edges are all equal. We will call this length variable a, and all angles in the unit cell are 90°. Therefore, the volume of the unit cell for all three will be a3.

Simple Cubic Structure (SC)

We will start with the simple cubic structure because it is, as it states, the most simple.


Cubic crystal shape


In the simple cubic structure, an atom exists at each corner of the cube. If we were counting atoms inside the cube we would see that each of these corner atoms only actually has 1/8 of its structure in the actual cube. There are 8 corners, so the simple cubic structure contains 8*(1/8) or 1 atom per unit cell. The radius of an atom is related to the length of the unit cell side by the following equation:


null


Because there is only one atom per unit cell, and an atom has a volume equal to (4/3)πr3, we can also determine the packing efficiency:


packing efficiency simple cubic


Simple cubic structures have a packing efficiency of 52%. This means that 52% of the structure is made up of atoms, and the remaining 48% is empty space.

Body-Centered Cubic Structure (BCC)

The body-centered cubic structure is similar to the simple cubic; however, it has an atom at the center of the cell as well as the corners.


body centered cubic structure


To unlock this lesson you must be a Study.com Member.
Create your account

Register to view this lesson

Are you a student or a teacher?

Unlock Your Education

See for yourself why 30 million people use Study.com

Become a Study.com member and start learning now.
Become a Member  Back
What teachers are saying about Study.com
Try it risk-free for 30 days

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.

Create an account to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days!
Create an account
Support