ASCP Exams and Costs
There are over 20 professional certifications offered by the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) and its Board of Certification (BOC), each of which requires its own exam. Each of these certification exams has its own associated fees and costs, ranging from just over $100 to over $500, although most average in the $200 range. Fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable and can be paid by credit card or check.
Specific ASCP Exam Costs
Below, you'll find a full list of the costs for each specific exam. Please keep in mind that each certification has its own unique requirements and qualifications, so be sure to consult the ASCP BOC in order to identify the requirements that apply to you.
- (BB) Technologist in Blood Banking: $240
- (C) Technologist in Chemistry: $240
- (CG) Technologist in Cytogenetics: $240
- (CT) Cytotechnologist: $240
- (DLM) Diplomate in Laboratory Management: $ 405
- (DPT) Donor Phlebotomy Technician: $135
- (H) Technologist in Hematology: $240
- (HT) Histotechnician: $215
- (HTL) Histotechnologist: $240
- (M) Technologist in Microbiology: $240
- (MB) Technologist in Molecular Biology: $240
- (MLA) Medical Laboratory Assistant: $135
- (MLS) Medical Laboratory Scientist: $240
- (MLT) Medical Laboratory Technician: $215
- (PA) Pathologists' Assistant: $530
- (PBT) Phlebotomy Technician: $135
- (SBB) Specialist in Blood Banking: $290
- (SC) Specialist in Chemistry: $290
- (SCT) Specialist in Cytotechnology: $290
- (SH) Specialist in Hematology: $290
- (SCYM) Specialist in Cytometry: $290
- (SM) Specialist in Microbiology: $290
- (SMB) Specialist in Molecular Biology: $290
Rescheduling or Retaking the Test
When financially preparing to take an ASCP exam, it is important to understand what happens if your exam must be rescheduled or retaken since this might change the costs.
If you need to reschedule the exam, you have to contact Pearson VUE testing at least 24 hours before the time of the exam and must reschedule within the original 3-month window you were given. If you're able to do so, you won't have to pay to reapply for the exam. Make sure you get the confirmation email from Pearson VUE that your exam has been successfully rescheduled. If you haven't received the email, your exam has not yet been rescheduled.
If you cancel the exam or fail to get it rescheduled in the 3-month window, you do forfeit your right to take the test. Not only does this mean that you lose the application fee (which, remember, is nonrefundable) but also that you will have to reapply and pay all the fees again in order to schedule a new exam.
Not everybody passes their ASCP exam on the first try. If a candidate fails to meet the minimum passing score, the BOC will contact them with information on scheduling a new exam. Candidates will have to pay the application fee again in order to retake an exam.
ASCP Test Prep
Now that you know how much each ASCP test costs, it's time to start studying for your test. Study.com offers several ASCP Test Study Guides to help you gear up for your test day. Each study guide course allows you to track your progress, and you can get help from subject matter experts whenever you need it. You can also Take an ASCP Practice Test to identify how much information you've retained from your studies and where you need improvement.