What are the CLEP exam locations?
CLEP exams serve as a convenient option for students looking to earn college credit towards a degree. There are 34 CLEP exams offered, and CLEP credit is accepted at 2,900 colleges and universities. Because there are over 2,000 CLEP testing centers around the globe, it is easiest to simply look for testing centers near you by using the 'Find a Test Center' tool at clep.collegeboard.org. This tool offers two ways to filter CLEP testing center results:
- Locate a specific testing center: If you already know the name of the institution or college at which you would like to take an exam, simply enter the name in the Enter a College or University Name field. A list of matching schools will pop up, allowing you to select one. If your preferred college or university is not listed, try locating other testing centers in your area.
- Find testing centers in your area:To find a list of testing centers in your vicinity, select the drop-down arrow under Select a Country, choose your country, then click the Search button. If you're searching in the United States, you will be asked to narrow your search by choosing a state (you can also search by city and zip code).
Can I take a CLEP test at my local high school?
In addition to professional CLEP testing centers, high schools also have the opportunity to host CLEP exams and become CLEP exam centers. This can be a boon for students as the high schools can choose to waive the administrative fee. It is also convenient for students who attend those schools and they still have the option of receiving an Instant Score Report.
What are the CLEP exam dates?
CLEP exam dates are generally scheduled on a rolling basis, depending on the exam subject and the testing center. Each center sets its own exam schedule to ensure students enjoy flexible testing options. If you are planning on taking a CLEP exam, follow these steps to find exam dates:
- Identify which testing centers are most accessible to you, geographically or transit-wise. Consider whether you will be getting to the testing center by car, by public transit, or by foot.
- Make sure you are ready to pay the registration fees. CLEP exams do require a registration fee of $89, and most testing centers charge an additional administrative fee on top of that.
- Check which dates are available for the CLEP exam you plan to take. Dates for different exams may be more or less frequent depending on the relative popularity of the exam, and do depend on the individual testing center
- Schedule the test in advance, building in enough time to study beforehand.Even if you have completed an academic course for the exam topic, you may still want additional time to create a study guide, take practice tests, and review test-taking strategies.
What information should I know about my CLEP testing center?
Once you are presented with one or more CLEP testing centers to choose from, you will be given access to important details. Make sure to record this information because you will need it to get to your testing center. With each center's name is the following information:
- Street address
- Option to get directions
- Phone number
- Website (when available)
- Distance from your location (available in the United States when a city or zip code is entered)
What fees do the testing centers charge?
It's important to note that in addition to the $89 standard CLEP test fee, most CLEP testing centers require a nonrefundable administration fee before taking an exam. This fee is determined by and paid directly to the testing center via its preferred method of payment. Test takers should be prepared to pay for each expense separately.
Test takers who qualify for CLEP fully funded exams, such as DANTES-eligible service members, are exempt from paying the administration fee when taking the CLEP exam at an approved center. Check the College Board's list of those eligible to see if you can get your test funded. Veterans and dependents, for example, are not DANTES-eligible. When browsing locations in the ''Find a Test Center'' tool, be sure to look for the following test center statuses to pinpoint centers that waive administration fees or have other guidelines:
|Testing Center Status||Description|
|Open||Exams are open to all students who register and pay the administration fee.|
|Fully funded||The administration fee is waived for service members and civilians who qualify for CLEP fully funded exams.|
|Limited||Exams are administered only to students enrolled at or admitted to the institution.|
|On-base||Testing is offered to civilians authorized to enter a military installation and eligible service members.|
How do I schedule a CLEP exam appointment?
To schedule a CLEP exam appointment, you will need to contact your preferred testing center. It's important to note, however, that exam registration is required before scheduling your appointment. When registering for your exam in the My Account portal (clep.collegeboard.org), you will have the option to select your preferred testing center and have the center's information printed on your registration ticket. You can also use the ''Find a Test Center'' tool to locate a center.
How do I make test accommodation requests?
If you have a disability, accommodations are available. Testing centers are able to accommodate special requests from test takers with learning or physical disabilities or other needs. Be sure to contact your preferred testing center to explain the accommodations you will need and find out the deadline to submit necessary documentation for approval of accommodations. If you need additional accommodations, contact CLEP Services prior to registering for an exam. Some accommodations include:
- ZoomText (screen magnification)
- Modifiable screen colors
- Extended time
- Untimed rest breaks
- Scribes/writers and sign language interpreters
Now that my test is scheduled, how do I prepare for my CLEP exams?
Once you've determined the CLEP exam(s) you want to take and feel confident that you know when and where to take your exam(s), feel free to visit Study.com to begin your CLEP preparation process. We offer dozens of CLEP courses, study guides, practice tests, and other CLEP informational resources that you can access at your convenience. Resources available in our study courses include:
- Engaging lessons: Discover or improve your knowledge of topics you could see on CLEP exams by reviewing our bite-sized lessons.
- Short quizzes: Our multiple-choice quizzes let you assess your comprehension of each lesson you study.
- Practice exams: Comprehensive exams are available to check your knowledge of individual chapters and each entire course.
- Mobile features: Feel free to access our study courses using your computer or any smartphone or tablet.
- Expert assistance: Our subject-matter experts can answer your questions about CLEP exam topics covered in the lessons.