CLEP Exams & Credits
CLEP is a credit-by-examination program offering 33 exams you can take to earn credits that are accepted at 2,900 colleges and universities. Browse this list of CLEP exams, sorted by subject area, and discover the credits offered for each exam. Click each exam link to find a Study.com test prep course offering lessons, self-assessment options and tools to help you study.
Composition and Literature
- American Literature (3 credits)
- Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (3 credits)
- College Composition (6 credits)
- College Composition Modular (3 credits)
- English Literature (3 credits)
- Humanities (3 credits)
- French Language: Levels 1 and 2
- German Language: Levels 1 and 2
- Spanish Language: Levels 1 and 2
Note: All World Languages exams offer 6 credits for the Level 1 portion and 9 credits for the Level 2 portion.
History and Social Sciences
- American Government (3 credits)
- History of the United States I (3 credits)
- History of the United States II (3 credits)
- Human Growth and Development (3 credits)
- Introduction to Educational Psychology (3 credits)
- Introductory Psychology (3 credits)
- Introductory Sociology (3 credits)
- Principles of Macroeconomics (3 credits)
- Principles of Microeconomics (3 credits)
- Social Sciences and History (6 credits)
- Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648 (3 credits)
- Western Civilization II: 1648 to Present (3 credits)
Science and Mathematics
- Biology (6 credits)
- Calculus (4 credits)
- Chemistry (6 credits)
- College Algebra (3 credits)
- College Mathematics (6 credits)
- Natural Sciences (6 credits)
- Precalculus (3 credits)
- Financial Accounting (3 credits)
- Information Systems (3 credits)
- Introductory Business Law (3 credits)
- Principles of Management (3 credits)
- Principles of Marketing (3 credits)
CLEP Exam Basic Info
Now that you know what exams are available, how you can study for them and how many credits each is worth, let's learn a little bit about exam costs, registration, scheduling and scoring.
Each CLEP exam costs $85. Payment is made in the My Account portal (clep.collegeboard.org) via debit or credit card. It's good to note that the testing center you select could charge an additional administration fee.
Military personnel may be able to have their exams funded through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES). If you qualify for DANTES and take your exam at an on-base or fully funded test center, your exam and test center administration fees will be free of charge.
Registration & Test Scheduling
To register for a CLEP exam, you must select an exam from the CLEP registration page or individual exam page then enter the My Account portal to submit your payment.
If you cannot identify a preferred test center in the My Account portal during registration, you can use the Find a Test Center tool at clep.collegeboard.org to locate one in your area. After finding a test center, contact it directly to schedule the date and time to take your exam.
CLEP exams offer a scaled score range of 20 to 80. The recommended minimum passing score to earn college credits is 50 for most exams; however, each institution is allowed to set its own minimum passing score for granting credits.