CTEL Test Score Information

Copyright

CTEL Passing Scores

Each individual who is required to take the CTEL (California Teacher of English Learners) exam must earn 220 points on each of the 3 subtests in order to pass. This is a scaled score derived from the number of points that test-takers earn for responses to test items. The highest score possible on a CTEL subtest is 300, while the lowest score possible is 100.

How the Test Is Scored

Each CTEL subtest is made up of a combination of constructed-response and multiple-choice questions. The constructed-response questions are worth 30% of the test score, while the remaining 70% of the test score is determined by a test-taker's performance on the multiple-choice section of the test.

Multiple-Choice Questions

Individuals receive points for each multiple-choice question that they answer correctly. There are no deductions for incorrect answers. This means that if a test-taker does not know the answer to a multiple-choice question, it is better for him or her to make an educated guess than to leave the question blank.

Constructed-Response Questions

Responses to these questions are evaluated for how effectively test-takers fulfill the objectives of the assignment, their ability to demonstrate that they have the knowledge and skills required to work with English language learners and their ability to produce examples that support their responses. Each constructed-response question is scored by 2 or more approved educators.

Where to Get Test Results

When test-takers register for the CTEL subtests, they can opt to have their results sent to them via email. Score reports can also be accessed through test-takers' user accounts on the CTC exams website.

When to Get Test Results

The CTEL is administered around 4 times a year during 2-week testing windows. Results are provided on fixed dates that fall about 3 weeks after a testing window closes. Individuals taking the CTEL from August 2, 2018 to August 15, 2018 can expect their results on September 5, 2018. Those who test from November 1, 2018 to November 14, 2018 will receive scores on December 5, 2018. This means that individuals have to wait anywhere from 3 to 5 weeks to receive their results.

What's Provided on a Score Report

The score report provides information about a test-taker's performance on each subtest. It indicates whether a test-taker passed or failed. It also breaks down the main sections of the subtest and indicates how well a test-taker performed on those sections. Individuals who did not pass a subtest will be given the score they earned and can use the information provided to determine which parts of the subtest they need to focus on studying for before retaking the subtest.

CTEL Test Resources

There are numerous lessons available through each of the practice and study guides linked to here. These study courses are reputable and have been designed to help individuals preparing for the CTEL subtests review all of the material that they will be tested on. Individuals can work on them at their convenience and access the lessons anywhere they have an internet connection and appropriate electronic device, such as a smart phone or tablet.

Get an idea of what the California Teacher of English Learners (CTEL) exam is used for, who is required to take it and what each of the CTEL subtests focuses on.

We help millions of students every month.
Try it risk-free today! No obligation, cancel anytime.