Homeschooling in Vermont

Instructor: Shelby Golden
You can check out this article when you're ready to learn about homeschooling in Vermont. Get information about state regulations and educational resources that can help your child.

How Do I Start Homeschooling in Vermont?

In order to begin homeschooling your child in Vermont, you will need to submit an enrollment notice to the Vermont Department of Education (VDOE). This enrollment notice must be completed every year if your child is between the ages of 6-16. You can submit it at any point after March 1st. This notice must include the following information about your child:

  • Name
  • Age
  • Date of birth

If your child has never been enrolled in a homeschool program or a public school before, and your child has a disability, you will need to provide proof from a medical professional. If you homeschooled your child the previous year, you will need to include a progress assessment. You will also need to include your:

  • Name
  • Address and town
  • Telephone number

If someone besides yourself will be providing instruction, you must include the same information for them. Finally, you are required to include an outline of what you plan to teach your child. Make certain that you sign this document. After the VDOE receives your notice, you will be sent an acknowledgement.

Be aware that if you have homeschooled at least two years in the past five and your child demonstrated academic progress, you will not need to send in an educational outline.

What Do I Need to Teach in Vermont?

Vermont requires you to provide a minimum course of study for your child. This means that you will need to provide instruction in:

  • U.S. and Vermont history, government and citizenship
  • Communication skills (reading, writing and using numbers)
  • Literature (English, American and more)
  • Natural science
  • Physical and health education
  • Fine arts

You can find online courses to supplement your child's education. These courses allow students to explore subjects across different grades. Your child can view short video lessons about the concepts he or she is studying. Check out these options to support your child's education:

English9th Grade English
10th Grade English
11th Grade English
12th Grade English
AP English Literature
AP English Language
MathematicsHigh School Algebra I
High School Algebra II
High School Trigonometry
High School Precalculus
AP Calculus
ScienceMiddle School Physical Science
Middle School Earth Science
High School Physical Science
High School Physics
High School Biology
High School Chemistry
AP Environmental Science
AP Biology
AP Chemistry
AP Physics 1
AP Physics 2
AP Physics C
Social ScienceHigh School Psychology
AP Macroeconomics
HumanitiesAP Music Theory
HistoryMiddle School World History
Middle School U.S. History
High School World History
High School U.S. History
AP World History
AP European History
AP U.S. History

If you have a younger child, these specially designed math, language arts, science and social studies courses can be a great help. These courses were crafted to help younger children stay interested in what they're learning.

What Assessments Do I Need to Consider in Vermont?

Your child will be assessed on a yearly basis in Vermont. There are three assessment options:

Assessment by a Licensed Teacher

You can have a licensed teacher assess your child's educational progress and file a report with the VDOE.

Parent Assessment

Alternatively, you can complete an assessment report yourself. This report should include examples of your child's academic work that shows progress in the subjects you taught throughout the year.

Standardized Assessment Tests

Finally, your child can complete a standardized test. This test must be approved by the VDOE before your child takes it. This test must be scored by a licensed teacher in Vermont or, it can be scored by the testing company. You cannot score the test yourself. As an alternative, your child might be able to take a standardized test at a local public school. You'll have to contact the school of your choice to find out more information.

Can My Child Receive a High School Diploma?

Your child will not receive a diploma from the state if he or she completes high school by homeschooling. However, your child can receive a secondary school equivalency certificate by completing the GED test. This GED Study Guide offers a great way for students to prepare for this exam quickly and easily. This course covers the subjects that can appear on the exam and includes quizzes that can help students get used to answering the types of questions they might face on the exam.

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.