Praxis Exam Costs
Costs of Praxis tests vary widely, with the least expensive Praxis tests costing $50 and the most expensive reaching up to $210. Some factors that affect price include the length and type of the test. Some of the longer Praxis tests are comprised of subtests that can be expensive when taken separately. Applicants can save money by taking subtests together. Nevada also adds a surcharge to the regular cost of each test, and there are additional costs for some test-related services.
Praxis 1 Test Costs
The Praxis 1 is also known as the Praxis Core or Praxis I. The Praxis Core is comprised of three subtests that are used to assess an applicant's basic reading, writing and mathematics skills.
|Praxis Core Reading (5172)||$90|
|Praxis Core Writing (5722)||$90|
|Praxis Core Mathematics (5732, 5733)||$90|
|Praxis Core Combined Test (5751, 5752)||$150|
Praxis 2 Test Costs
Praxis 2 exams, also known as Praxis Subject Assessments or Praxis II, evaluate potential teachers' knowledge of their subject area. These tests can be used to qualify teachers to teach certain subjects and work with a specific grade level or student population. They have a range of different costs, outlined below.
Praxis Content Area Test Costs
These tests are often used to qualify educators to teach their chosen subject. These exams come in two forms: multiple-choice questions, which typically cost $120, and tests containing constructed response questions, which cost $146. These tests include:
|Multiple Choice Tests ($120)||Tests with one or more constructed response questions ($146)|
|Pre-Kindergarten Education (5531)||Middle School Social Studies (5089)|
|Algebra I (5162)||Physical Education: Content and Design (5095)|
|Technology Education (5051)||World Languages Pedagogy (5841)|
|Theater (5641)||Social Studies: Content and Interpretation (5086)|
|World and U.S. History: Content knowledge (5941)||Education of Young Children (5024)|
|Economics (5911)||Art: Content and Analysis (5153)|
|Speech-Language Pathology (5331)||Teaching Reading (5204)|
|Sociology (5952)||Braille Proficiency (0633)|
|Social Studies: Content Knowledge (5081)||Reading Specialist (5301)|
|Computer Science (5651)||English Language Arts: Content and Analysis (5039)|
State-Specific Praxis Test Costs
Pennsylvania and Virginia have their own assessment tests that are used to qualify teachers. The costs for these are listed in the table below:
|Pennsylvania||PA Grades 4-8 Core Assessment: Pedagogy (5153)||$50|
|Pennsylvania||PA Grades 4-8 Core Assessment: English Language Arts and Social Studies (5154)||$50|
|Pennsylvania||PA Grades 4-8 Core Assessment: Mathematics and Science (5155)||$50|
|Pennsylvania||PA Grades 4-8 Subject Concentration: English Language Arts (5156)||$75|
|Pennsylvania||PA Grades 4-8 Subject Concentration: Mathematics (5158)||$75|
|Pennsylvania||PA Grades 4-8 Subject Concentration: Science (5159)||$75|
|Pennsylvania||PA Grades 4-8 Subject Concentration: Social Studies (5157)||$130|
|Virginia||Reading for Virginia Educators: Elementary and Special Education (5306)||$130|
Praxis Special Education Test Costs
The Praxis Special Education: Core Knowledge and Mild to Moderate Applications and the Praxis Special Education: Core Knowledge and Severe to Profound Applications exams each cost $146.
All other special education Praxis tests are $120.
Praxis World Languages Test Costs
The World Language tests for Spanish, French, German and Chinese (Mandarin) each cost $160.
Praxis Elementary Education Multiple-Subjects Test Costs
Four subtests covering mathematics, science, social studies and reading and language arts make up the Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects test. To take all four subtests at the same time costs $170. Examinees who opt to take each subtest separately will pay $60 per subtest.
|Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5001)||$170|
|Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts (5002)||$60|
|Elementary Education: Mathematics (5003)||$60|
|Elementary Education: Social Studies (5004)||$60|
|Elementary Education: Science (5005)||$60|
Praxis PLT Test Costs
The Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) tests for early childhood, grades K-6, grades 5-9 and grades 7-12 each cost $146.
|PLT Early Childhood||$146|
|PLT Grades K-6||$146|
|PLT Grades 5-9||$146|
|PLT Grades 7-12||$146|
Praxis CKT Tests
The Praxis Elementary Education: Content Knowledge for Teaching tests are designed to test a candidate's subject knowledge as well as their teaching-specific knowledge relevant to teaching that subject. The costs for these tests are as follows:
|Elementary Education: Content Knowledge for Teaching (7801)||$199|
|Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts CKT (7802)||$74|
|Elementary Education: Mathematics (7803)||$74|
|Elementary Education: Science CKT (7804)||$60|
|Elementary Education: Social Studies CKT (7805)||$60|
|Elementary Education: Applied Content Knowledge for Teaching (7901)||$210|
|Elementary Education: Reading and Language Arts - Applied CKT (7902)||$79|
|Elementary Education: Mathematics - Applied CKT (7903)||$79|
The Praxis ParaPro Test
The Praxis Parapro is designed for those who intend to become educational paraprofessionals, as well as those already practicing in educational positions, such as teaching assistants. It tests content knowledge in three key skill areas: reading, writing and mathematics. The fee for this test is $55, plus a possible premium imposed by individual test centers. Please contact your test center to find out whether they will charge a premium.
Nevada has an additional charge added to the cost of each Praxis test except for the Praxis Core. Test fees in this state are $5 higher than the regular test price.
Additional fees apply when individuals want to change their test date, take their test at a different location or register over the phone. Changing the date or location of your Praxis test costs $40. The charge for registering over the phone is $35. There is also a charge of $50 per report to receive additional copies of your test scores.
Individuals who wish to have their scores reviewed must also pay an additional fee of $65.
If services have been rendered but payment has not been made (for example, if you have insufficient funds in your account), ETS will charge an additional $20 service fee, withhold scores and you will be unable to register for additional tests
Praxis Test Fee Exemptions
Some applicants can qualify for a waiver so they don't have to pay any test fees to take their Praxis exams. Those who qualify can use the waiver to be exempt from the fees for one Praxis 2 assessment or all three of the Praxis Core tests.
To be eligible for a waiver you must meet all of the following criteria:
- You must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program (unless you already hold a master's or doctoral degree, in which case you are ineligible) and be able to provide a current Enrollment Verification Certificate
- You must be able to provide a current FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) showing an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $3000 or less
- You must be required to take the Praxis test for which you are applying for an exemption
- You must be receiving financial aid
To apply for a waiver you must complete a Fee Waiver Request Form, collect the required documentation and email it to PraxisFeeWaiver@ets.org, or mail it to:
ETS - Praxis
PO Box 6051
Princeton, NJ 08541-6051
ETS Refund Policies
- To be eligible for a refund, you must cancel at least three days before the date of your test. In these cases, 50% of your test fee will be refunded.
- Special service fees non-refundable
- The test-taker is not entitled to a refund in the event of lateness or absence
- Refunds for checks from U.S. banks will be processed 8 weeks after canceled test date
- For eCheck refunds, you should allow 9-10 business days for processing
- To request a refund for your Praxis test you can fill out a Refund Request form from ETS. Tests canceled online will be processed automatically.
For more information on Praxis test registration, test accommodations and the Praxis retake policy, please see the following pages:
- Praxis Registration & Test Center Information 2019-2020
- Praxis Test Dates 2019-2020
- Praxis Test Accomodations
- Praxis Test Retake Policy
Test Preparation Materials
To ensure the best chance of success on your Praxis exams, develop a study schedule and ensure you cover all parts of the test. Study.com offers a comprehensive Praxis Study Guides filled with bite-sized video lessons and transcripts to help you study for your exam. You can also utilize our free 15-question practice tests to assess your knowledge and plan your study schedule. Throughout our courses we offer quizzes and practice tests to help you ensure you are prepared for test day.
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Reading: Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Writing: Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5732): Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics (5733): Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Combined Test (5751) Practice Test
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Combined Test (5752) Practice Test
- Praxis English Language Arts - Content & Analysis: Practice & Study Guide
- Praxis Middle School Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide
- Praxis PLT - Grades K-6: Practice & Study Guide
- Praxis PLT- Grades 7-12~' Practice & Study Guide
- Praxis PLT Grades 5-9: Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects Practice Test
- Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Practice Test
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics Practice Test
- Praxis Business Education - Content Knowledge Practice Test
- Praxis English Language Arts - Content Knowledge Practice Test
- Praxis Physical Education Practice Test
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Combined Test Practice Test (5751)
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Combined Test Practice Test (5752)
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics Practice Test (5732)
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Mathematics Practice Test (5733)
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Reading Practice Test
- Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators - Writing (5722) Practice Test