Requesting a CLEP Transcript
A major component of CLEP is the transcript request process, which ensures your exam scores are forwarded to the correct institutions in a timely manner. CLEP offers two ways to request transcripts:
- During registration: CLEP provides the option to add a score recipient (college, certifying agency or employer) when registering for an exam in the My Account portal (clep.collegeboard.org). If you have yet to decide on a recipient, this section can be left blank.
- After registration: If you did not add a score recipient during the registration process or want to send your scores to additional institutions, you can fill out the CLEP Transcript Request Form.
CLEP Transcript Request Form
The CLEP Transcript Request Form allows you to share exam scores with institutions not indicated during registration or provide scores to more than one recipient. On the form, you are asked to provide the following details:
- Full name
- Last four digits of your Social Security number
- Current address
- Contact information (daytime phone number and email address)
- Date of birth
- Transcript recipient's name, college code number, address and contact name (if known)
You're also asked to check boxes that apply for the following circumstances:
- Select CLEP exams: Choose the exams for which you'd like scores sent to your recipients.
- Scores of 50 or above: Check if you only want scores of 50 or above sent to recipients (for computer-based exams only).
- Official candidate copy: Select if you want to send an official candidate copy only.
CLEP Transcript Request FAQs
Below are frequently asked questions related to CLEP transcript requests:
How much does a transcript cost?
If you select a score recipient while registering for an exam, the transcript is free of charge. Any transcripts requested using the CLEP Transcript Request Form cost $20 per transcript.
What forms of payment are accepted?
Credit cards and debit cards are both acceptable forms of payment.
How long is the transcript request process?
Institutions typically receive exam scores within 7-10 business days of your exam date. If you've filled out the CLEP Transcript Request Form, CLEP requires two days of internal processing. It could take up to 10 additional business days for your score recipient to get the transcript in the mail.
How can I send essay scores?
Your multiple-choice and essay scores for the College Composition exam are reported three to four weeks after you've taken the test. Exams with optional essays are typically scored by the institutions that require them. Keep in mind that if you don't select a reporting institution during the registration process, optional essays will only be kept on file for 18 months.
How long does CLEP keep my scores?
CLEP keeps test scores on file for 20 years.
Military Personnel Transcript Requests
Military personnel who take CLEP exams can select an institution to receive exam scores during the registration process, free of charge. If transcripts are requested after taking the test or are needed for additional recipients, military personnel must fill out the Military Transcript/Score Report Order Form.
This form requires personal information (full name, Social Security number, address, date of birth, phone number and email address) and asks you to select the types of scores to be sent (all scores, scores above the ACE Recommended Minimum Score of 50 or specific exam scores). You are also asked to provide information about your score recipient.
CLEP provides score recipients with transcripts for exams taken after July 1, 1974 and/or those taken at DANTES military test centers beginning in 2004. Transcripts are usually provided within 10 business days of a transcript request. The cost for each transcript request is $30, payable to Prometric via money order, certified check or credit card.
Note: All military personnel scores are kept on file by DANTES longer than 20 years.
Earning High CLEP Exam Scores
To ensure scores on your CLEP transcripts are as high as possible, Study.com provides tools you can use to prepare for dozens of CLEP exams.
Browse our selection of CLEP study courses to enjoy access to fun lessons that focus on key concepts you could see on CLEP exams. Self-assessment quizzes and practice tests make it easy to gauge your readiness to take and pass each exam. Here are just a few of the study guides available:
- CLEP History of the United States: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP American Literature: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP College Algebra: Study Guide & Test Prep
These study courses are easy to navigate and simple to use. If you have a busy schedule, you can enjoy access to these courses 24 hours a day using any smartphone, tablet or computer with an internet connection.
Transferring your CLEP Credit? Check out our article on how to transfer CLEP credits to the institutions of your choice.