Ohio Alternative Teacher Certification

Instructor: Shelby Golden
Bachelor's degree program graduates with an interest in transitioning to a teaching career can earn Ohio's Alternative Resident Educator License. Keep reading to learn about the education and testing requirements for this credential and explore resources that can help you meet some of them.

Obtaining an Alternative Educator License in Ohio

In Ohio, several different Alternative Resident Educator Licenses are available. These include a license to teach a designated subject or a world language to children in preK through 12th grade. You may also finish a license that allows you to work as an intervention specialist to help students with different impairments. Requirements for these types of alternative licenses are outlined below.

Educational Prerequisites

Alternative Resident Educator licenses require you to complete a bachelor's degree from an accredited university. Additionally, you will need a minimum of 24 semester hours of training in the subject, language or area of intervention in which you plan to pursue licensure. Integrated subjects - such as integrated social studies or science - require 48 semester hours of classes, including six in reading instruction. You will need to maintain a GPA of 2.5 in these courses.

Testing Requirements

In order to qualify for an Alternative Resident Educator License as an intervention specialist or to teach a designated subject area, you will also need to complete the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) content area test that covers the field you intend to teach. You can find out which assessments you need to complete and register for them through the website for the OAE (

To prepare for these exams, check out these online OAE Prep Courses. You can go over the information you'll be tested on by viewing short video lessons and taking interactive quizzes that include questions similar to those found on the exams. You can also print worksheets to complete while you're away from your computer and get in contact with experts if you get stuck while working on a particular concept.

If you're applying for an Alternative Resident Educator License to teach world languages, you'll need to pass a written and verbal proficiency exam administered by Language Testing International.

Teacher Training

After meeting testing requirements, you will need to register for and complete a program offered through the Intensive Pedagogical Training Institute. You can find registration information on the website for the Ohio Department of Education ( This institute costs $200 and includes 3 modules of educational information that must be completed within 6 months. You will also need to finish 25 hours of hands-on field work during this time period.

Once you have finished this training, you should request an evaluation through the Ohio Department of Education to ensure you've met all of the eligibility requirements. Once you've fulfilled them, you will be given the Alternative Resident Educator License and can begin teaching.

Obtaining a Professional Educator License

Obtaining an Alternative Resident Educator License isn't the end of your licensing process in Ohio. To get your Professional Educator License you will need to work for 4 years with your alternative credential and meet the following requirements.

Testing Requirements

During your second year as an instructor, you'll need to complete an additional OAE test to measure your understanding of teaching pedagogy for grades PK-12. You can register for this exam the same way you registered for the other OAE assessments.

Teacher Training

Additionally, you must participate in the Resident Educator Program. You can sign up for this program on the website for the DOE.

If you're teaching a designated subject or world language, you will also need to finish 12 more semester hours in professional education in addition to a 3-semester-hour course on teaching reading. Intervention specialists must complete 12 semester hours of professional education coursework as well as 12 semester hours of reading education coursework.

You can check out these education courses to get study help while fulfilling this licensure requirement:

Earning College Credit

Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.

To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page

Transferring credit to the school of your choice

Not sure what college you want to attend yet? has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.