Passing Praxis Test Scores
The scaled range of possible scores for most Praxis Core Academic Skills and Subject Assessment exams is between 100 - 200 points. Each state that uses Praxis tests determines its own passing score threshold. While the overall range of passing scores for individual tests in different states varies, some commonalities exist, especially for the Core Academic Skills exams.
Core Academic Skills State Scoring Requirements
Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators (usually shortened to Praxis Core, or referred to by its old name, Praxis I) is a set of three tests designed to assess teacher training candidates' skills and knowledge in three foundational subjects. Test takers can register for each test separately, or sign up for the combined Praxis Core exam and take all sections at once. Exams may be composed on selected response, constructed response, or numeric entry questions.
|Test||Possible Score||Passing Score Requirement|
|Praxis Core Mathematics||100 - 200||150 for all states except Washington, which requires 142|
|Praxis Core Reading||100 - 200||156 for all states|
|Praxis Core Writing||100 - 200||162 for all states except Washington (158) and North Dakota (160)|
Subject Assessment State Scoring Requirements
Praxis Subject Assessments (formerly known as Praxis II) test knowledge in specific subjects. Tests may include both selected and constructed response questions; prospective test takers should research the particular exam they plan to take to understand what types of questions to expect. Passing score ranges for Subject Assessments usually fall between 127-177 on a maximum 200 -point scale.
|Number of Tests||Possible Score||Passing Score Range for Individual Tests|
|More than 90||100 - 200*||127 - 177|
*The ParaPro Assessment, used by many states to assess the expertise of paraprofessionals, has a possible scoring range of 420 - 480 and the range of passing scores by state ranges from 455 to 466.
How to Pass Praxis Exams in Your State
Each state designates their own passing score; when preparing for the Praxis follow these steps to maximize your chances of success:
- Research your test: What is the official test code for registration? What is the test makeup like? What content does it cover? Consult official sources like ETS.
- Find your state's passing score for the test: Understanding average score ranges helps you target your studying, but it's important to know what your state has designated a passing score.
- Gather prep materials: ETS offers free study companions with a content guide and sample questions to help you get an idea of the overall content to study.
- Utilize test prep resources to create a comprehensive plan: Study.com can help you turn your test format knowledge into a concrete study plan - our Study Guides are aligned to official content guides. Simply set a target date and we'll help you cover everything before test day. Our practice tests help you target your areas of strength and weakness so you can spend your prep time on content areas that matter. Bite-sized lessons with quizzes help you assess progress along the way and feel confident on exam day.
Explore Study.com's test prep resources for Praxis Core and Praxis Subject Assessments
- Praxis Core Academic Skills - Combined Test Study Guide
- Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge Study Guide
- See all Praxis Study Guides & Praxis Practice Tests
Average Scoring Ranges for Praxis Subject Assessments
ETS provides data on average score ranges to give an idea both of the difficulty of various exams and to provide study benchmarks. View the table below for scoring range data on some of the most popular Subject Assessments, taken from data reported by ETS for tests taken between August 2015 and July 2018.
|Test Name||Number of Test Takers||Possible Score||Average Performance Range|
|Elementary Education: Reading & Language Arts Subtest (5002)||37647||100-200||161-179|
|Elementary Education: Mathematics Subtest (5003)||38982||100-200||161-186|
|Elementary Education: Social Studies Subtest (5004)||37920||100-200||156-177|
|Elementary Education: Science Subtest (5005)||37899||100-200||161-179|
|Praxis PLT - Grades 7-12 (5624)||31630||100-200||169-183|
|Praxis PLT - Grades K-6 (5622)||30084||100-200||169-183|
|Speech-Language Pathology (5331)||21766||100-200||171-184|
|Elementary Education: Content Knowledge (5018)||16665||100-200||160-179|
|Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge (5161)||15974||100-200||137-169|
|Praxis Social Studies - Content Knowledge (5081)||12819||100-200||157-178|
|Praxis English Language Arts - Content Knowledge (5038)||14825||100-200||171-186|
|Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications (5354)||14097||100-200||165-181|
|Middle School Mathematics (5169)||13252||100-200||157-180|
|ParaPro Assessment (1755)||78863||420-480||462-476|
State by State Praxis Information & Resources
Find your state in the list below to view more informational resources about Praxis exams specific to your locale: