Praxis Retake Policy
Candidates are allowed to retake a Praxis exam. There is no limit to the number of times an individual can retake Praxis tests as long as the waiting period requirement is fulfilled.
Praxis Waiting Period Requirement
If you wish to take a Praxis test again, you must wait a full three weeks before you sit for the exam again. This window begins the day after you take the test the first time. This policy is applicable to all Praxis tests and testing applicants. For Praxis exams that contain multiple subtests the same rule applies. That means that an applicant who took the Early Childhood: Multiple Subject combined test, for example, must wait 21 days before they can retake the combined test or any one of the subtests.
Applicants who do retake a Praxis test without waiting for the full waiting period to elapse will forfeit their test fees and not receive scores for their retake.
Praxis Retake Fee
In order to retake a Praxis text, you will be required to pay the test fee again. It is possible to register for the Praxis online or by phone for an additional fee. The cost of each Praxis test and cost of Praxis retakes varies between tests. Fee payment options include Visa, PayPal and money order.
Reasons for Retaking Praxis Exams
There are a number of reasons why you may wish to retake a Praxis test. Here are a couple of the most frequent reasons:
- You didn't score high enough to meet state certification requirements on the first attempt.
- You experienced something beyond your control such as a transit delay due to bad weather
- You experienced something beyond your control such as a car accident on the way to the exam
Preparing for a Praxis Retake
Evaluating Your Test Prep Process
There are several things to consider when you are getting ready to retake the Praxis test. They include:
- Whether you sought appropriate accommodations
- Whether you studied sufficiently the first time
- External factors, such as weather or illness, that affected your Praxis test score
In order to facilitate a successful retake experience, it's important to identify the reasons you may not have performed optimally the first time you took the test. An assessment process can help you target which adjustments to make prior to scheduling your retake.
Weather and Other Considerations
If you are taking Praxis exams during a time of the year with inclement weather, you may need to carefully consider what time of day you schedule your test. It's prudent to plan on having extra time available to get to the testing center in the event of bad weather. Transit delays can cause stress and arriving late will limit the time you have available to take the exam. Taking steps to avoid transit issues can improve your chances of success on the test.
If you have an illness or disability, you may qualify for extra time to complete your Praxis exam. Be sure to check the accommodation eligibility requirements to see if you qualify for Praxis accommodations.
Adjusting Study Habits
Sometimes, individuals underestimate the amount of time they need to prepare for an exam. Before you reschedule your Praxis retake, review your upcoming commitments and block out regular study time for your Praxis test. Do not reschedule your test until you have had a sufficient amount of time to study for the test.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself to assess your ideal exam preparation plan:
- Did the study methods you used to prepare the first time prove to be effective?
- How should you change your study approach?
- Can you get more studying done if you work alone?
- Are you more likely to stay focused on reviewing the material if you have a study partner or group to keep you accountable?
By being honest with yourself about your study habits and your ability to stay focused on the material when working alone or in groups, you can make effective decisions about how to structure your study time.
Preparing for the Praxis
The best way to improve your chances of success on your Praxis exams is to develop a study schedule and ensure you cover all parts of the Praxis exam. Study.com offers a comprehensive Praxis Study Guides filled with bite-sized video lessons and transcripts to help you study for your exam. You can also utilize our free 15-question practice test to assess your knowledge and plan your study schedule. As you go through our courses, we offer quizzes and practice tests to help you ensure you are prepared for test day.
Ready to get started? Use these additional links to access study materials directly to prepare for the Praxis Core tests:
- Praxis Core Academic Skills For Educators - Reading: Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Core Academic Skills For Educators - Writing: Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Core Academic Skills For Educators - Mathematics: Study Guide & Practice
Are you preparing for the Praxis Content Knowledge exams? Below are a list of some of our study guides filled with short video lessons, quizzes and practice tests to help you feel confident for test day!
- Praxis English Language Arts - Content Knowledge: Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Mathematics - Content Knowledge: Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Social Studies - Content Knowledge: Study Guide & Practice
- Praxis Art - Content Knowledge: Study Guide & Practice