Praxis Requirements for Licensure in Iowa
Before receiving an Iowa teacher's license, a candidate must complete one Praxis Subject Assessment content exam and one Praxis Subject Assessment pedagogy exam. Exams must focus on the subject matter and grade range in which the aspiring teacher would like to work. Test-takers have to achieve passing scores determined by the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners.
Praxis Pedagogy Tests
Praxis Principles of Teaching and Learning Subject Assessment tests are used to meet Iowa's pedagogy testing requirement. To determine which exams to take, test-takers may match the range of grade levels they would like to teach with the Principles of Teaching and Learning tests available to Iowa educators.
|Principles of Teaching and Learning Test||Passing Score in Iowa*|
|Grades K - 6||168|
|Grades 5 - 9||166|
|Grades 7 - 12||166|
*All tests are scored on a 100 - 200 point scale.
Praxis Content Tests
A teacher may seek licensure in one of Iowa's 67 certification areas via Praxis Subject Assessment content tests. Passing scores for each of these tests is individually set by the state of Iowa. Exact exams for each certification area, along with passing scores for each, may be found on the Praxis website (ets.org). Tests fall into eight categories:
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Early Adolescence (K - 8)
- Secondary Education (5 - 12)
- Career and Technical Education
- World Languages
- Special Education
Special Considerations for Special Education Licensure
Special Education teaching candidates do not take a pedagogy test and, instead, take two Special Education Subject Assessment content tests.
Taking Praxis Tests for Licensure in Iowa
- Praxis tests must be taken at an official testing location. There are 16 testing centers in Iowa, but tests are also available at testing centers around the world. Visit the Praxis website to find a convenient location.
- Tests are administered on a computer. The Praxis website offers free tutorials to help test-takers familiarize themselves with the test delivery in advance.
- Depending on the exam, test-takers may be able to see their unofficial scores at the testing center. Official score reports are released 10 to 16 business days after either the test date (for continuously offered tests) or the closing of the period in which the exam is offered (for tests offered only during testing windows).
- On test day, remember to bring a valid photo identification; arrive at least 30 minutes before your exam; and leave phones or other electronic devices, which are prohibited within the test center, behind.
Praxis Prep Courses
Study.com's online prep courses provide short video lessons and practice exams as a resource for those who need to refresh their knowledge for these Iowa Praxis content tests:
- Business Education
- Early Childhood Education
- English Language Arts - Content & Analysis
- Earth and Space Sciences
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- Health Education
- Marketing Education
- Middle School Mathematics
- Middle School Science
- Physical Education
- Reading Specialist
- Social Studies
- World and U.S. History.