What is CLEP?
The CLEP exams (College-Level Examination Program) measure a person's knowledge of college-level material for more than 30 specific subjects and allow test-takers to earn college credit. These exams can benefit continuing education students, military personnel, and college students.
Exams take between 90 to 120 minutes to complete and each one is $85. The test is free for individuals serving in the military.
Why take a CLEP exam?
Earning college credit by taking a CLEP exam allows you to reduce the amount of time and money spent earning a degree. Over 2,900 universities and colleges accept CLEP credits. Aside from higher education institutions, CLEP exams are also administered at over 1,800 test centers.
What are the CLEP subjects?
The College Board offers 33 CLEP exams in several subject areas. You need to check your institution's CLEP credit policy to determine the exams that are acceptable and how many credits you can get. The table below lists the exams by subject:
|History & Social Sciences||American Government, History of the U.S. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, Human Growth and Development, Intro to Educational Psychology, Introductory Psychology, Introductory Sociology, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, and Social Sciences and History|
|Composition & Literature||College Composition, College Composition Modular, American Literature, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, English Literature, and Humanities|
|Science & Math||Biology, Chemistry, Natural Sciences, College Mathematics, College Algebra, Precalculus, and Calculus|
|Business||Financial Accounting, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Principles of Management, and Principles of Marketing|
|World Languages||French, German and Spanish|
How to register for a CLEP exam
You can register for a CLEP exam with the College Board, or you can contact a testing center. The CLEP exams are administered throughout the year across the United States and internationally. When you register on the College Board, you have to create an account and fill in your personal information. The account allows you to search for test locations and dates, and to sign up for score reports. Here's a checklist of what you need to do:
- Research CLEP credit policy by institution
- Select a CLEP exam
- Register for a CLEP exam
- Get prepared with practice questions
Preparing for a CLEP exam
You'll have the confidence and tools you need to do well on your test when you choose Study.com for your CLEP exam prep. Study.com has thorough courses that include engaging educational videos and opportunities for practice with quizzes and tests.
You can work as fast or slow as you want because the Study.com courses are self-paced. Online instructors are available to help you day or night. You can get started preparing for CLEP exams with these Study.com courses:
History & Social Sciences
- CLEP American Government: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP History of the United States I: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP History of the United States II: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Western Civilization I: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Western Civilization II: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Human Growth and Development: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Introduction to Educational Psychology: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Introduction to Psychology Exam: Study Guide & Test Prep
- Sociology 101: Intro to Sociology
- CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics: Study Guide & Test Prep
- Economics 101: Principles of Microeconomics
- CLEP Social Sciences and History: Study Guide & Test Prep
Composition & Literature
- CLEP College Composition: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP American Literature: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP English Literature: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Humanities: Study Guide & Test Prep
Science & Math
- CLEP Biology: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Chemistry: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Natural Sciences: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP College Mathematics: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP College Algebra: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Precalculus: Study Guide & Test Prep
- CLEP Calculus: Study Guide & Test Prep