About TExES Exams
TExES exams are required for certification for all Texas educators. These exams are provided by ETS, the same organization that administers the GRE and the Praxis exams, among others. Almost all TExES exams are computer based and must be taken at testing centers, which may be found in Texas and at designated locations in other states, Puerto Rico and Mexico. Every TExES exam has multiple-choice questions. Depending on which test you are taking, you may also encounter constructed-response items. The major categories for the TExES exams are as follows:
|Exam Category||Purpose||Length of Tests||Types of Questions|
|Core Subjects||To gauge knowledge of core subjects for a specific range of grade levels||35 to 115 minutes per subject test||Multiple choice|
|Classroom Certification||To measure mastery of specific subject areas||5 hours||All multiple choice or a combination of multiple choice and constructed response|
Eligibility to Take TExES Tests
Individuals are eligible to take TExES exams if they meet any of the following criteria:
- Enrolled in an approved Educator Preparation Program, such as a bachelor's or master's degree teaching program
- Hold teaching certification from another state or country and receive approval from the Texas Education Agency
- Texas-certified teacher seeking certification in specific subject matter
TExES Test Rules and Procedures
Before registering and beginning to prepare for TExES exams, test takers may want to keep these considerations in mind:
- If you plan to take multiple tests, only two may be taken on one day.
- For most tests, registration must be completed at least two days before the exam.
- Test fees will not be refunded for cancellations made less than 72 hours before an exam.
- There is a 45-day waiting period before a test taker may retake an exam. Five re-take attempts are allowed.
Preparing for TExES Exams
Free online resources, including practice tests and individual exam manuals, are available on the official TExES website. Test takers getting ready for TExES exams may also utilize preparation courses for individual tests. Study.com has online prep courses for both Core Subject and Classroom Certification tests. Each course features self-paced video tutorials and self-assessment quizzes for each component of an exam. Check out one of our TExES courses and take a practice test today!