Conditional Probability: Definition & Uses

Instructions:

Choose an answer and hit 'next'. You will receive your score and answers at the end.

question 1 of 3

Amanda has room in her rented limousine to take two of her friends while she celebrates her birthday. Her best friends are Barbara, Samantha, Rachel, and Kim. She chooses names randomly to not hurt anyone's feelings. What are the chances she'll take Rachel and Kim?

Create Your Account To Take This Quiz

As a member, you'll also get unlimited access to over 79,000 lessons in math, English, science, history, and more. Plus, get practice tests, quizzes, and personalized coaching to help you succeed.

Try it risk-free
Try it risk-free for 30 days. Cancel anytime
Already registered? Log in here for access

1. Sam has to find one more pair of cards to win a memory game. Of the cards left, two show apples, two show oranges, and two show grapes. What are the odds of Sam turning over two cards and getting two cards with grapes?

2. Paul wants to play quarterback for his football team, but that decision depends on who serves as head coach for a given game. Coach Smith is head coach about 60 percent of the time, and Coach Brown is head coach the other 40 percent. Coach Brown has faith in Paul, so he starts him at quarterback in 80 percent of the games he coaches. Coach Smith, though, isn't so sure, so he starts Paul at quarterback 40 percent of the time. What's the probability of Paul starting as quarterback for the next game?

Create your account to access this entire worksheet
A Premium account gives you access to all lesson, practice exams, quizzes & worksheets
Access to all video lessons
Quizzes, practice exams & worksheets
Certificate of Completion
Access to instructors
Create an account to get started Create Account

About This Quiz & Worksheet

Conditional probability in mathematics allows for calculating the chance of an occurrence. This quiz/worksheet will help you assess your understanding of how to calculate it and let you put your skills to the test with practice problems.

Quiz & Worksheet Goals

In these assessments you'll be tested on practice problems involving:

  • Conditional probability
  • Dependent events
  • Probability
  • Conditional probability notation

Skills Practiced

Practice these valuable skills as you complete these assessments:

  • Problem solving - use acquired knowledge to solve conditional probability practice problems
  • Knowledge application - use your knowledge to calculate the conditional probability of many events
  • Making connections - use understanding of how to use conditional probability notation

Additional Learning

Take a look at the lesson titled Conditional Probability: Definition & Uses to get more in-depth information on this subject. You can use this lesson to:

  • Define probability
  • Identify sample points
  • Discover what a sample space is
  • Understand how to write notation for conditional probability
Support