Copyright

Expected Utility: Theory & Formula

Instructions:

Choose an answer and hit 'next'. You will receive your score and answers at the end.

question 1 of 3

Under conditions of uncertainty, expected utility theory says that the best choice between alternatives is the one that:

Create Your Account To Take This Quiz

As a member, you'll also get unlimited access to over 79,000 lessons in math, English, science, history, and more. Plus, get practice tests, quizzes, and personalized coaching to help you succeed.

Try it risk-free
Try it risk-free for 30 days. Cancel anytime
Already registered? Log in here for access

1. Sal the baseball slugger thinks there is a 75% chance he will hit 20 home runs this year, and a 25% chance he will hit 40. What is the expected value for Sal's number of home runs?

2. Martha will receive 25 units of utility from baking a cake, 30 units from baking a pie and 35 units from making brownies. Which should she cook?

Create your account to access this entire worksheet
A Premium account gives you access to all lesson, practice exams, quizzes & worksheets
Access to all video lessons
Quizzes, practice exams & worksheets
Certificate of Completion
Access to instructors
Create an account to get started Create Account

About This Quiz & Worksheet

Answer questions on the expected utility model. Quiz topics include conditions of uncertainty and an expected value for home run predictions.

Quiz & Worksheet Goals

You'll be asked questions regarding the following situations:

  • The choice between baking three different things with alternate units of utility
  • A principle that best describes two bowls of ice cream with different values of utility
  • An expected utility regarding a trip to the beach and different kinds of weather

Skills Practiced

  • Reading comprehension - ensure that you draw the most important information from the related lesson on the expected utility model
  • Information recall - access the knowledge you've gained regarding predictions for home runs
  • Knowledge application - use your knowledge to answer questions about unity of utility in different scenarios

Additional Learning

More information is available from the lesson entitled Expected Utility: Theory & Formula. These topics will be considered:

  • An analytical approach to making any decision
  • Definition of expected value
  • Explanation of the expected utility theory
  • The expected utility formula
Support