10 chapters | 64 quizzes
1. Based on the type of fiction, what can be assumed about the difference between the novel A Tale of Two Cities and the short story The Tell-Tale Heart?
2. How are novellas different from novels?
About This Quiz & Worksheet
Use this quiz/worksheet combo to help you test your understanding of features of novels, novellas, and short stories. Information you'll be assessed on includes a description of novellas as a category of fiction as well as classifying Shirley Jackson's 'The Lottery.'
Quiz & Worksheet Goals
In these assessments you'll be tested on:
- Categorizing a 400-page book of fiction
- Shirley Jackson's 'The Lottery'
- Describing novellas
- Organizing a list of works from shortest to longest
- Publishing in American magazines post-World War II
- Reading comprehension - ensure that you draw the most important information from the related lesson on features of novels, novellas, and short stories
- Interpreting information - verify that you can read information regarding novellas and interpret it correctly
- Information recall - access the knowledge you've gained regarding Shirley Jackson's 'The Lottery'
- Knowledge application - use your knowledge to answer a question about magazine publishing after World War II
Get more information and explore examples with our lesson named Types of Fiction: Novels, Novellas & Short Stories. Once you complete it, you should be able to respond to the following:
- Know three types of fiction
- Be able to arrange categories of fiction in terms of page length from shortest to longest
- Differentiate between short stories and novellas
- Relate the characteristics of the novel
- Go to Basics of Writing Essays
- Go to Interpreting Literature
- Go to Literary Terms
- Go to Prose
- Elements of a Short Story Quiz
- Analyzing the American Short Story: Techniques and Examples Quiz
- Analyzing the British Short Story: Techniques & Examples Quiz
- Types of Fiction: Novels, Novellas & Short Stories Quiz
- Go to Short Fiction
- Go to Types of Poetry
- Go to Dramatic Literature
- Go to Studying for English 103