29 chapters | 258 quizzes
In 2020, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and its Office of Pesticide Programs published a revised SOP (standard operating procedure) document describing the use-dilution method in testing disinfectants against three major microbes that commonly form biofilms (a group of bacteria that adhere together and to a surface): Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus, and Salmonella enterica. The EPA uses the use-dilution test to assess the efficacy of antimicrobial pesticides on these biofilm-forming bacteria.
1. In the EPA document describing the use-dilution test for use in testing antimicrobial pesticides, which of the following microorganisms is not discussed?
The use-dilution test can also be used to test disinfectants on viral pathogens, such as the Newcastle Disease Virus, which causes the reportable, contagious, and often fatal Newcastle Disease in poultry such as chickens. Finding an effective disinfectant for use in livestock settings such as large layer or broiler farms is essential to inactivating any virus in the environment and preventing Newcastle Disease from gaining a foothold in the poultry industry. In 1964, researchers from the University of California modified the original use-dilution test, dating back to 1960, for use on viral microorganisms. They were able to produce useful results and determine that use-dilution tests are valuable for testing disinfectants on viruses as well as bacteria.
2. In 1964, researchers from the University of California modified the use-dilution test to test the efficacy of disinfectants against which type of organism?
- Go to Understanding Metabolism
- Go to Bacterial Biology
- Go to Understanding Diseases
- Go to Protozoan Diseases
- Go to Understanding Viruses
- Go to Overview of DNA Viruses
- Go to Overview of RNA Viruses
- Go to Immunology Basics
- Go to Overview of Antigens
- Factors Influencing Success of Microbial Control Quiz
- Understanding How Sterilization Is Quantified Quiz
Previous LessonPhenol Coefficient Test: Definition & Uses
- Phenol Coefficient Test: Definition & Uses Quiz
Current LessonUse-Dilution Test: Definition & Uses
- Use-Dilution Test: Definition & Uses Quiz
- Go to Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants