About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering the main events of Book 2 of 1984 will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the summary and analysis of Book 2. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in memorizing events and people associated with 1984
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the 1984 Book 2 Summary chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the 1984 Book 2 Summary chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any 1984 question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about Book 2 of 1984 for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Analysis of 1984 Book 2
- Major plot points in Book 2
- Summaries of each chapter
1. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 1 Summary
This lesson is a summary of Book 2, Chapter 1 of George Orwell's ''1984''. In this chapter, Winston encounters the mysterious dark-haired girl in the hallway, where she slips him a note. The contents of the note mean a dramatic change for Winston.
2. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 2 Summary
This lesson is a summary of Book 2, Chapter 2 of George Orwell's '1984'. In this chapter, Winston meets the dark-haired girl in the countryside and learns that her name is Julia. He learns more about her and they begin a physical affair.
3. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 3 Summary
This lesson includes a brief recap of Chapter 2 of Book 2 of 1984. It will then provide a summary of Chapter 3, Book 2 of 1984. In Chapter 3, Winston and Julia talk briefly a few more times before meeting in the remains of a church. They find out quite a lot about each other's pasts.
4. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 4 Summary
This lesson is a summary of Book 2, Chapter 4 of ''1984''. Winston waits for Julia in the room that he has rented from Mr. Charrington and thinks that they will soon be caught. Julia arrives, and they try to turn the room into their private, domestic escape.
5. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 5 Summary
This lesson will include a brief recap of Book 2, Chapter 4 of '1984.' It will then summarize Chapter 5 of Book 2. In this chapter, Syme vanishes, London gets excited about the upcoming Hate Week, and Winston and Julia discuss more of their political beliefs.
6. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 6 Summary
This lesson will include a brief recap of 1984, Book 2, Chapter 5, and will then summarize the events in 1984, Book 2, Chapter 6. In Chapter 6, Winston meets O'Brien, and is thrilled that O'Brien invites him to his house.
7. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 7 Summary
This lesson is a summary of Book 2, Chapter 4 of ''1984''. Winston dreams about his mother and remembers a series of memories from childhood. Winston and Julia tell each other that the Party will never be able to make them stop loving each other.
8. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 8 Summary
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Chapter 7 of Book 2 of 1984, and will then include a summary of Chapter 8. In that chapter, Winston and Julia go to O'Brien's house, where O'Brien asks them some tough questions before he allows them to join the Brotherhood.
9. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 9 Summary
This lesson will start with a recap of Chapter 8, Book 2, of 1984, then provide a summary of Chapter 9. In Chapter 9, Winston, receives Goldstein's book as arranged by O'Brien. Reading from it, he delights in the fact that he is not insane like he had thought.
10. 1984 Book 2 Chapter 10 Summary
This lesson will begin with a brief recap of Chapter 9, Book 2, of 1984. It will then include a summary of Chapter 10, where Winston and Julia's world is shattered by a nasty surprise.
11. 1984 Book 2 Quotes: Examples & Analysis
This lesson examines significant quotations from Book 2 of '1984' by George Orwell. Book 2 contains the nursery rhyme ''Oranges and Lemons,'' which Winston thinks about throughout the novel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.