About This Chapter
20th Century Developments in World History - Chapter Summary
You can learn about the major historical developments of the 20th century by viewing this chapter's lessons. Review these lessons to get a comprehensive picture of world history over the past hundred years.
The lessons are broken down into different geographical areas, covering the major events that occurred in these areas during different periods of the 20th century. Specific topics you will learn about are:
- History of Indochina from 1900 until the Vietnam War
- Political, technological, and social changes in western civilization since 1945
- Africa's transformation from colonies to states
- Death squads and other aspects of the history of El Salvador and Argentina after 1945
- Asian history since the end of WWII
- Significance of Middle Eastern history since 1945
You can use the lessons' video tags to find the most important points in each video if you don't have time to watch it in its entirety. If you would like a hard copy of each video to study at a later time, the chapter also offers lesson transcripts. Your personal Dashboard will help you track your progress as you complete each lesson.
1. Indochina from 1900 to 1945: Culture, Government & Unrest
The history of the Vietnam War begins with understanding the events in Indochina prior to the end of 1945. In this lesson, you will learn about Indochina's culture, foreign rule and internal opposition to foreigners prior to the American arrival in Vietnam.
2. Western Civilization Since 1945: Timeline & Summary
How has the Western world changed since the end of World War II? Learn about changes in politics, society and technology in this fast-paced summary of Western civilization since 1945.
3. Important Events in Africa: 1945-Present
More than any other region, Africa has transformed dramatically over the past 70 years. This lesson explains how a continent of colonies transformed into a continent of vibrant states.
4. El Salvador & Argentina: 1945-Present
This lesson will explore post-World War II El Salvador and Argentina. It will detail the rule of military juntas and their death squads. It will also highlight the famous political lives of Juan and Eva Perón.
5. Overview of Asia from 1945 to the Present
In this lesson, you will explore the general experiences of nations in Asia since the end of World War II in 1945. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. Overview of the Middle East: 1945-Present
The Middle East has undergone considerable changes since 1945. From 'mandate' territories to areas of great geopolitical interest, few aspects of modern life are untouched by the events of this region.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards