About This Chapter
These video lessons will teach you about American history from 1992 to 2013. Learn about key events that took place during the administrations of Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama. You will be introduced to the domestic and foreign polices of each president and how each shaped or is shaping the direction of the United States.
As you learn about the elections of each president and the political climate of Congress during their presidencies, you will get a better understanding of the progression of the U.S. during this period. You will learn about the differences between each president's agenda and the historical events that shaped them. After reading this chapter, you will be able to:
- Talk about the elections of Presidents Clinton, Bush, and Obama
- Explain the implications of Bill Clinton's foreign and domestic policies
- Understand Congress's actions during the Clinton years
- Identify the effects that 9/11 had on George W. Bush's presidency
- Discuss the economic and political climate during the transition from Bush to Obama
- List President Obama's major accomplishments and policies
- Explain the U.N.'s role as a peacekeeping during this period
Our trained instructors have organized the necessary information on 21st century America into short, engaging video lessons that make learning easier and more fun! As you progress through the years, follow along with the video transcripts for extra help with remembering key dates and events. If you want to take a second look at something, use our helpful video tags to travel from chapter to chapter and president to president! Then, when you think you know all you need to know, test yourself with our self-assessments.
1. The Presidential Election of 1992: Bill Clinton, Ross Perot & George H.W. Bush
Learn about the three-way presidential race of 1992, which pitted Republican incumbent George H.W. Bush against Democrat Bill Clinton and independent Ross Perot. The campaign focused heavily on the economy.
2. Bill Clinton's Domestic Policy: the Economy, Healthcare, Welfare & Social Policies
During the 1990s, President Bill Clinton met many of his domestic policy goals, including stimulating the economy, reforming welfare, and advocating for social change. He did not successfully achieve a national healthcare system.
3. Bill Clinton's Foreign Policy: the Middle East, Haiti, African & Northern Ireland
During his two terms as president, Bill Clinton intended to focus on domestic policy over foreign policy. But between 1992 and 2000, the U.S. was involved in several international conflicts and diplomatic interventions, which will be covered in this lesson.
4. Congress in the Late '90s: Contract with America & Clinton's Impeachment
In 1994, Republicans took control of both houses of Congress, elected on the promises made in the Contract with America. President Clinton endorsed several of these measures, but conflict was inevitable, culminating in his impeachment in 1998.
5. George W. Bush: 2000 Election & Domestic Agenda
President George W. Bush overcame numerous obstacles before and after entering office. Learn about the Republican Primary Election, the presidential election of 2000 and Bush's domestic goals.
6. George W. Bush: the 9/11 Terrorist Attack & War on Terror
The September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States forced President George W. Bush to reappraise his foreign policy. Learn about the tragic day, the Bush Doctrine and the ensuing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
7. Major Events of George W. Bush's Second Term
President George W. Bush's second term domestic agenda focused on widespread reform, yet many of his initiatives fell flat. Learn more about Bush's domestic policy, as well as several issues that impacted his legacy, in this lesson.
8. The American Economy & Government Policy in 2008
The rise of sub-prime mortgage loans and heightened real estate speculation led to the collapse of the housing market, which ushered in the Great Recession in 2007. Learn more about this economic downturn and its effects in this lesson.
9. President Barack Obama: Election, Policies & Accomplishments
Barack Obama became the first African American President of the United States in 2009. Learn about his first term including his domestic and foreign initiatives, and his successes and failures.
10. The United Nations as an International Peace-Keeping Force
In this lesson, we will look at the role of the United Nations as a global peacekeeping force. We will explore U.N. functions and examine the structure of the organization.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the US History 2 Study Guide course
- Industrialization & Urbanization in America
- The Progressive Era
- American Imperialism
- The Roaring 20s
- The Great Depression
- America & World War II
- America in the Cold War
- US Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- 1970s America
- The Presidents of Contemporary America
- Explaining American Traditions
- Elements of American Government
- U.S. Public Policy & Social Programs
- The Economics of Public Policies
- Fiscal & Economic Policy of American Government
- Employment and Unemployment Issues
- Modern Economic Systems Overview
- Types and Effects of Inflation
- Global Trade, Global Markets & Macroeconomics
- Principles and Basis of Business Decisions
- International Trade Treaties & Regulations
- Fundamentals of Geography
- Geography and Farming
- Geography & the Global Economy
- Political Geography Overview
- Settlement Patterns Overview
- World Population
- Human and Cultural Migration