About This Chapter
2nd Grade Math Games & Activities - Chapter Summary
Our professional instructors assembled this chapter to provide teachers with different ideas about how to use games to get 2nd grade students actively engaged in their math-related education. The games covered in this chapter were made to help students learn about math problems involving:
- Place values
Each short article was made to be mobile device-compatible so that you may review them whenever and wherever you plan your lessons, as long as you have access to an Internet-ready device.
How It Helps
- Introduces new teaching strategies: If you are not used to using games and activities in your math class, this lesson will provide you with a review of how to use games to improve student learning.
- Increases student participation: These games will get students engaged in their learning of mathematics, money and time, and thus improving how much they learn.
- Enhances student understanding: Students tend to understand things better when they are given a chance to apply their knowledge, as they will in these games.
By the end of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Plan lessons that involve games to enhance student learning
- Improve student classroom participation with these games
- Help students discover new and creative ways to learn about mathematics
1. Money Games for 2nd Grade
Learning how to use and understand money takes practice. It also improves students' math skills. Make this process fun for your students by trying out these money games, appropriate for 2nd graders.
2. Fraction Games for 2nd Grade
Fractions are a difficult concept for young students to understand. Help them along the start of the path by trying out some of these fraction games, appropriate for second graders.
3. Measurement Games for 2nd Grade
Helping students learn math concepts like measurement can be fun with the right games. Use these ideas to create games with materials you have on hand and let your students play their way to learning.
4. Subtraction Games for 2nd Grade
Like all math skills, subtraction is about practice. Help students get all the practice they need with a few of these subtraction games, suitable for second grade.
5. Clock Games for 2nd Grade
Telling the time is a vital skill in human society, where time is central to everything we do. Help students learn how to use and interpret clocks early on with a few of these fun clock games, appropriate for second graders.
6. Telling Time Games for 2nd Grade
Learning to tell time is a big part of learning to function in the real world. Help students along this difficult path by incorporating some of these fun 'telling time' games into your classroom.
7. Place Value Games for 2nd Grade
Second graders are only starting to properly understand place value. Help your students learn place value skills by incorporating a few of these place value games for second graders into your classroom.
8. Addition Games for 2nd Grade
Addition is an important first step in mathematical literacy. Help students along the early part of the journey by playing some of these second grade addition games.
9. Multiplication Games for 2nd Grade
Rote memorization is not the best practice for multiplication facts. This lesson includes many games and activities that will engage your second grade students in learning multiplication tables and encourage the internalization of these facts.
10. Geometry Games for 2nd Grade
Help introduce your students to the features of various shapes with a few of these ideas for geometry games, suitable for second graders, which will engage your students.
11. Essential Questions for Math, Grade 2
Essential questions are those conceptual questions that undergird teaching in different content areas. This lesson gives you some ideas about essential questions for teaching math in second grade.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the Math Games for Elementary School course
- Elementary Math Games & Activities
- Numbers Games & Activities for Kids
- Arithmetic Activities & Games
- 1st Grade Math Games & Exercises
- 3rd Grade Math Games & Activities
- 4th Grade Math Games & Activities
- 5th Grade Math Games & Activities
- 6th Grade Math Games & Activities
- Basic Math Drills for Kids Lesson Plans
- Elementary Math Problems & Drills
- Math Activities & Games with Food
- Holiday Math Activities