About This Chapter
3-Dimensional Shapes Lesson Plans - Chapter Summary
This engaging chapter offers lesson plans and activities relating to 3-dimensional shapes. The lesson plans cover topics like surface area and volume, the properties of solid shapes, cubes and three-dimensional geometry. It's easy to update your lesson plans or shake up your teaching routine by incorporating these lesson plans and activities into your classroom. All of our materials are available 24 hours a day on your computer or mobile phone, so you can work on curriculum development wherever and whenever you'd like.
How It Helps
- Engages students: By incorporating games, activities and projects into your classroom, your students are more likely to understand what they're learning and retain the information.
- Meets educational standards: All of our learning materials are written by professional instructors who ensure relevant learning standards are met.
- Provides supplemental lessons: You'll find supplemental lessons that can be used directly in the classroom or assigned for homework.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning 3-D shapes lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific 3-D shapes topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your math class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related 3-D shapes lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important 3-D shapes concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant 3-D shapes-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. 3-D Shapes Lesson Plan
What does it mean for something to be 3D? A video lesson defines the term and provides examples for students to compare against familiar objects. Related lessons and extensions are included to extend your instruction on 3D.
2. What are 3D Shapes? - Definition & Examples
What's the difference between 2D and 3D shapes? Learn the answer to this question in this lesson. You will also explore what makes spheres and cubes 3D shapes.
3. Three-Dimensional Geometry Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, we introduce our students to basic geometric shapes through recognizing geometric shapes in the classroom and then by seeking them out in the school and the world in which they live.
4. Overview of Three-dimensional Shapes in Geometry
We are surrounded by three-dimensional shapes. Watch this video lesson to see what some three-dimensional shapes look like, such as a cube, a sphere, a brick, and a cylinder.
5. Properties of Solid Shapes Lesson Plan
Do you need a great lesson for teaching solid figures? Use this lesson plan to teach your students about the properties and examples of solid figures. Students will watch a video lesson, go on a solid shapes scavenger hunt and complete a solid shape identification activity.
6. Solid Figures: Definition, Properties & Examples
Solid figures are everywhere around us. In this lesson, we'll learn what solid figures are, and we'll explore some common types of solid figures. After going through the lesson, you will be able to test your new-found knowledge with a quiz.
7. Teaching Surface Area & Volume
The mathematical concepts of surface area and volume are often taught in tandem. In this lesson, you'll find strategies for teachers to use as a foundation when instructing students in the classroom setting.
8. Surface Area & Volume Projects
There are many surface area and volume equations students need to learn and use. Involvement in multi-lesson projects provides students with consistent practice to help these equations sink in. Check out these ideas.
9. Cubes Lesson Plan
In this lesson, students learn about the three-dimensional properties of cubes and learn the formula necessary to determine a cube's surface area and put it into practice using real-life cubes.
10. Cubes: Lesson for Kids
The world is made up of many different types of shapes. In this lesson, we will focus on the cube and what makes it such a special three-dimensional shape.
11. Surface Area of a Cylinder Lesson Plan
This lesson plan derives the formula for finding the surface area of a cylinder. Students will work in pairs to practice using the formula to calculate the surface area of a cylinder.
12. How to Find Surface Area of a Cylinder
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula you can use to find the surface area of a cylinder. Learn the measurements that you'll need as well as how to use them.
13. Surface Area of a Cylinder Games
Looking for an engaging, meaningful game to help your students learn about the surface area of a cylinder? This lesson is stocked full of game ideas that will help your students deepen their understanding of how to find the surface area of cylinders.
14. Volume of a Cylinder Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, we teach our students how to find the volume and surface area of a cylinder by recognizing and breaking down the equations for volume and surface area and then working in pairs to measure cylinders and use the equations.
15. What Are Cylinders? - Definition, Area & Volume
Watch this video lesson to learn why soda cans are cylinders and the method by which you can discover how much soda can fit inside by finding the volume. You will also learn about finding a cylinder's surface area.
16. Volume of a Cylinder Games
If your class is studying 3D shapes, learning how to calculate the volume of a cylinder is important. Use these engaging games to help students figure out how to find the volume of cylinders.
17. Surface Area to Volume Ratio Activities
If your class is studying shapes in three dimensions, consider having students learn how to calculate the surface area to volume ratios for different 3-D shapes. Use these activities to help students understand surface area to volume ratio.
18. Surface Area Lesson Plan
Do your students know how to calculate surface area? Use our Study.com video lesson to highlight essential formulas, then have students engaging in a classroom activity to apply what they've learned.
19. What is Surface Area? - Definition & Formulas
In this lesson, you use general and specific formulas to learn how to find the surface area of three-dimensional shapes, such as cubes, prisms, spheres, cones and cylinders.
20. Surface Area Activities
Help your students learn about surface area with some hands-on activities and games. They'll learn what they need to know, and remain engaged and interested throughout.
21. Volume of Prisms Games
Games can be a fun way to engage students as they learn about finding the volume of prisms. This lesson contains games you can use in your classroom for your geometry unit.
22. 3D Shapes Games & Activities
If your class is studying geometry, understanding 3D shapes is an important concept for your students to master. Use these activities and games to help students identify 3D shapes and their various properties.
23. Geometry Pyramids Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn about the defining features of a pyramid. They will then learn how to calculate various measurements of a pyramid using different formulas. They will end with a performance task where they will apply what they have learned to measure real-world pyramids.
24. Building Model Pyramids Lesson Plan
Are you looking for a fun way to incorporate pyramid building into your instruction? This lesson plan will be a great resource for doing so as it presents several different methods for building pyramids using a text lesson. A competitive activity keeps things interesting for students.
25. Planes & the Polyhedron Lesson Plan
Your students are around planes and polyhedra at almost any given time. Your students will learn what a plane and polyhedron are as they watch a video, identify planes and polyhedron and take a quiz.
26. Platonic Solids Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn basic information on platonic solids. They will use active exploration to create the five platonic solids and then play a game to solidify the concepts presented in the lesson.
27. Geometry of Polyhedrons Activities for Middle School
Need some engaging ways to teach your students about polyhedrons? Look here for activities to help spark interest in your students as they learn about the geometry of polyhedrons.
28. Geometry of Three-Dimensional Objects Activities for Middle School
Understanding the parts of three-dimensional shapes and how to calculate different measurements using them are important concepts in geometry. These activities will help your students explore the geometry of three-dimensional objects.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.