About This Chapter
3rd Grade English: Literary Terms - Chapter Summary
Use these convenient and simple 3rd grade English lessons to help your students review basic literary terms. This chapter can help students reinforce what they've been learning in class and solidify their understanding of literary genres and terms, such as biographies, personification and more. Each lesson is taught by an expert English instructor, who simplifies and explains literary terms in a manner that young students will enjoy. Our materials can be accessed on a computer, tablet or mobile device.
- Children's literature genres
- Biographies and autobiographies
1. Genres in Children's Literature
Reading throughout childhood can be a powerful tool for healthy development. This lesson will explore the different genres in children's literature, including contemporary, historical and science fiction.
2. Biography Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Have you ever wanted to learn about the first man on the moon? How about the person who invented the telephone? Reading biographies helps to give us information about important people. This lesson takes a look at characteristics and examples of biographies.
3. Autobiography: Definition & Examples
This lesson examines the genre of nonfiction. Specifically, you will learn how an autobiography is nonfiction, with examples illustrating the concepts.
4. What are Idioms? - Lesson for Kids
Have you ever heard someone say ~'Did you let the cat out of the bag?~' Have you ever done something wrong and been told that ~'It's time to face the music~'? If you have, you've experienced idioms. Learn more about idioms in this lesson.
5. Personification Lesson for Kids: Definition & Examples
Writers sometimes try to make their words more interesting and descriptive. One way they do this is through personification. In this lesson, you will learn about personification and read some examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade English course
- 3rd Grade English: Reading Comprehension & Response
- 3rd Grade English: Reading Literary Texts
- 3rd Grade English: Reading Informational Texts
- 3rd Grade English: Stories & Poetry
- 3rd Grade English: Vocabulary & Language
- 3rd Grade English: Spelling
- 3rd Grade English: Grammar
- 3rd Grade English: Writing
- 3rd Grade English: Speaking & Listening