About This Chapter
3rd Grade English: Speaking & Listening - Chapter Summary
Assign these lessons to your 3rd grade students to help them improve their speaking and listening skills. Taught by expert English instructors, these lessons break down speaking and listening topics in a way that young students can enjoy and easily understand. Students will learn discussion preparation and participation concepts and learn how to improve their speech skills. Multiple-choice quizzes are also included to help you evaluate how well your students have understood the lesson topics.
- How to prepare for and participate in a discussion
- Important speech skills
- Using visuals to enhance speaking
Who It's For
Kids who need extra help with their speaking and listening skills will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There's no faster or easier way to learn useful speaking and listening strategies.
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding speaking and listening concepts
- Students who have learning disabilities or need a little extra help with listening or speaking
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient and convenient way to improve their speaking and listening skills
- Students who struggle to understand their English teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English resources
How It Works
- Find lessons in the chapter that cover the speaking and listening concepts your student needs to learn or review.
- Press play to watch the video lesson with your student or read through the text lesson.
- Review the lesson or video transcripts, emphasizing the highlighted vocab words to reinforce learning about speaking and listening strategies.
- Test your student's understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify your student has taken away important speaking and listening concepts by completing the 3rd Grade English: Speaking & Listening chapter exam.
1. Preparing for a Discussion: Lesson for Kids
It can be amazing fun to talk - and even argue - about text. Preparing for a discussion is a necessary step in being an active participant in your own learning, and this lesson will get you ready to do just that.
2. Participating in a Discussion: Lesson for Kids
Participating in a discussion is a great way to share your thinking on a topic or text, and it's also a great way to find out what your peers think. Read this lesson for tips on how to effectively participate in a discussion.
3. Speech Skills: Lesson for Kids
Speaking or presenting to an audience can be overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be! This lesson will explore ways to give an interesting presentation and keep your audience engaged.
4. Using Visuals when Speaking: Lesson for Kids
Have you ever heard the comment, seeing is believing? Sometimes when people see something they understand it better. In this lesson, you are going to see how visual aids enhance the point you're making when speaking.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade English course
- 3rd Grade English: Reading Comprehension & Response
- 3rd Grade English: Literary Terms
- 3rd Grade English: Reading Literary Texts
- 3rd Grade English: Reading Informational Texts
- 3rd Grade English: Stories & Poetry
- 3rd Grade English: Vocabulary & Language
- 3rd Grade English: Spelling
- 3rd Grade English: Grammar
- 3rd Grade English: Writing