About This Chapter
3rd Grade English: Spelling - Chapter Summary
This collection of engaging English lessons covers 3rd grade spelling rules. Our expert instructors will help your students review important spelling topics, such as nouns, prefixes, suffixes, and word families, by using a simplified teaching approach. Each lesson comes with a short practice quiz to help 3rd graders retain the information they've studied, and our instructors are available to answer your students' questions.
- Word families
- Spelling rules and strategies
- Plural nouns
- Dropping and doubling letters
- Suffixes and endings
1. Word Families: Lesson for Kids
Word families can help you improve your reading and writing skills while having fun. In this lesson, we'll look at some fun word families and see how you can use them to make rhymes.
2. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
3. Syllables Lesson for Kids: Definition & Rules
Did you know that words are often like puzzles, made of smaller pieces or parts? These pieces of words are called syllable and this lesson will teach you how to find and use them. Read on to learn more about syllables!
4. English Spelling Rules for Plural Nouns
Our world is filled with nouns. For such an important part of speech, it is vital to follow the right spelling rules. In this lesson, we will discuss the rules for spelling plural nouns.
5. English Spelling Rules for Doubling & Dropping Letters
In this lesson, you'll learn the spelling rules associated with doubling letters. You'll also learn how to correctly drop letters when changing the form of a word. Then you can test your new skills with a short quiz.
6. English Spelling Rules for Prefixes
Adding a prefix to a word changes that word's meaning. In this lesson, you'll learn how to spell words correctly when adding prefixes, and you'll have a chance to test yourself with a short quiz.
7. English Spelling Rules for Suffixes & Endings
Suffixes change much about words, including the spelling. This lesson outlines some of the guidelines for using suffixes, ensuring correct spelling of the word.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade English course
- 3rd Grade English: Reading Comprehension & Response
- 3rd Grade English: Literary Terms
- 3rd Grade English: Reading Literary Texts
- 3rd Grade English: Reading Informational Texts
- 3rd Grade English: Stories & Poetry
- 3rd Grade English: Vocabulary & Language
- 3rd Grade English: Grammar
- 3rd Grade English: Writing
- 3rd Grade English: Speaking & Listening