About This Chapter
3rd Grade Math: Addition & Subtraction - Chapter Summary
This chapter can help 3rd grade students learn how to solve addition and subtraction problems. The lessons cover topics like regrouping, finding missing addends, and performing mental math. Each lesson is self-contained, so students can review specific lessons without the need to work through the full chapter in order. Our learning materials can work for many different types of young learners, including students who have fallen behind, students who want to get ahead in their math classes, and students who are currently in a homeschool program.
- Completing addition and subtraction problems
- Adding two numbers as big as three digits
- Using regrouping for addition and subtraction equations
- Subtracting numbers up to three digits
- Identifying the missing addend
- Solving addition and subtraction mentally
1. How to Perform Addition: Steps & Examples
Addition is one of the basic operations of math. You can say that the whole of mathematics is based on addition. Without addition, we wouldn't have higher math. Watch this video to learn how to add.
2. What is Addition With Regrouping?
In this lesson, you will learn about how to use regrouping in addition. You will learn what regrouping is, how to regroup, and why it is important. Then, practice what you've learned with a quiz!
3. How to Add Two Numbers up to Three Digits
This lesson teaches you how to add up to three-digit numbers without regrouping. As a basic skill, adding will help you in various ways during each and every day.
4. How to Perform Subtraction: Steps & Examples
Subtraction is one of the basic operations in math. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can view and understand subtraction so that you can easily perform it.
5. What is Subtraction with Regrouping?
In this lesson, you'll learn what regrouping means, why it's important, and when it's needed in subtraction, how to do it. You'll get a chance to practice regrouping during the quiz.
6. How to Subtract Numbers Up to Three Digits
This lesson will teach you how to subtract numbers up to three digits. Try some practical examples with only three short steps to follow in order to ensure success when subtracting.
7. Finding the Missing Addend
In this lesson, you will learn how to find a missing addend. The process taught will show how to solve a problem using subtraction if only one addend and the sum are known.
8. Mental Math: Addition and Subtraction
After watching this video lesson, you will get better at adding and subtracting numbers in your head without a calculator. Learn how breaking apart your addition and subtraction problems makes them easier and quicker to solve in your head.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 3rd Grade Math course
- 3rd Grade Math: Number Sense
- 3rd Grade Math: Creating & Interpreting Graphs
- 3rd Grade Math: Understanding Fractions & Decimals
- 3rd Grade Math: Multiplication & Division
- 3rd Grade Math: Arithmetic With Money
- 3rd Grade Math: Word Problems & Equations
- 3rd Grade Math: Measuring Physical Quantities
- 3rd Grade Math: Reading & Recording Time
- 3rd Grade Math: Geometric Shapes & Figures